DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I'm a newbie here at posting I had a bad whining/ roaring sound coming from my engine compartment and want to share all it took to fix it. So starting off I own a 2001 Dodge 1500 crew cab with a 5.9 (360) magnum engine. I got the truck with about 220 thousand miles and am currently at over 310 thousand. I use the truck for my business so it gets diven some long distances just about every day and it has always been a good truck. Prior to this I had alot of bad luck with vehicles me and my wife had bought so I really try to take care of it as best as I can. Well about a month ago it started making a horrible noise near the pulleys. To try to narrow it down I saw a video on YouTube saying to cut the bottom of a big water bottle or in my case a powerade bottle and put the base of a big 18" long screw driver into the mouthpiece to make a makeshift stethescope. With this I was able to put the buisness end of the screwdriver on each pulley and the bottle an the handed would act as a loudspeaker for the pulley. It's a little tough to get at every pulley and avoid contacted ng the fan blades but it helped me rule out the AC compressor clutch and steering pump pulley. It was specifically tough to get near the idler pulley and tensioner pulley safely and the alternator I had was looking pretty rusty so I picked up a new alternator and idler pulleys but low and behold I start her up and the noise is actually a little worse. While taking a video of the pulley system while it was running I noticed my harmonic balancer was kinda wobbling a little I took a better look and the rubber seal in-between the pulley and damper was bulging out in some spaces. As soon as I saw that I new I had to replace it and just to be sure I went ahead and planned for a new pump and fan clutch. I also decided that at the current mileage I should at least look at the timing chain and I am so glad I did. It was super super loose so I went and picked up a timing chain kit and I got all the cooling system replaced as the best perk of AutoZone is their lifetime warranty on parts so I just got to swap out my radiator for a new one. I love these trucks they are actually pretty easy to work on, parts are usually available for them readily and I have always loved how they look. The best advice I can give to someone looking to do this repair is not to forget the two bolts that go into the timing cover from the oil pan and to carefully clean the exposed oil pan gasket without ripping or damaging it. Also as Soon As you remove the timing cover watch out for additional coolant coing out of the screw holes so try to protect the now open space to the oil pan from coolant fuid and dropping debris by at least placing a clean terrycloth towel near the area. Also do all your seal prep before even opening the rtv container.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,810 Posts
Thanks for the write-up. :smileup:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts