DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading the post about strange noises in 2012 rams. I too have had a noise like a vibration coming I thought was the right side of dash. You had to turn radio up so it didnt drive you crazy. I lifted my hood up to see if anything was loose at firewall when I noticed the felt matting on the underside of hood. It was supported in some places but flopped upand down in some other places. I duct taped the places where it had the most movement. Then I went inside the cab and removed lower glovebox. I reached in and grabbed a duct opening that is about 3 by 5 inches in size and moved it alittle bit. I thought about securing that plastic opening with something but I didnt. Drove the truck 75 miles today and no noise so I think the duct tape might be the fix under the hood. Hope this helps someone else cause the noise is very annoying

·
Registered
55 Posts
interesting...

...i have had a persistent whine in the cab of my recently purchased 2010 1500 which seemed to be coming from beneath the glove box whenever the blower was on low, i removed the lower glove box and it seems to be coming from the motor housing for the HVAC. I've booked it into my local dealership on Monday and they are going to check it out, i'll try to post the result.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have been reading the post about strange noises in 2012 rams. I too have had a noise like a vibration coming I thought was the right side of dash. You had to turn radio up so it didnt drive you crazy. I lifted my hood up to see if anything was loose at firewall when I noticed the felt matting on the underside of hood. It was supported in some places but flopped upand down in some other places. I duct taped the places where it had the most movement. Then I went inside the cab and removed lower glovebox. I reached in and grabbed a duct opening that is about 3 by 5 inches in size and moved it alittle bit. I thought about securing that plastic opening with something but I didnt. Drove the truck 75 miles today and no noise so I think the duct tape might be the fix under the hood. Hope this helps someone else cause the noise is very annoying
You may have just made my day...! I have been battling noises I thought were in my dash... towards the passanger side. I did think at one time it may be coming from the hood area. It is almost like the windshield wiper blade was tapping on the window. However, I taped the wiper down to see if this was the cause and it was not. I will look at the felt matting under the hood tomorrow. Thanks for posting this!

·
Premium Member
6,931 Posts
My wife makes a high pitched sound from the back seat. I haven't figured that one out yet.

·
Registered
168 Posts
That's funny, I have a strange annoying whining noise coming from the passenger side too.

But I only hear it when my wife is riding along with me.

Strangest thing... wish I could figure it out... duct tape, maybe that's the fix. :box:

·
Registered
5 Posts
My ram is brand new with 250 miles on it and had this rattle/creaking noise....was driving me crazy. I brought it back in and they found out it was actually the Hood. The hood on the passenger side was loose and mis-aligned from the factory causing this issue for me. They fixed the issue and everything is nice and quiet:smileup:

I could have sworn it sounded like inside the dash but was proven wrong, so keep this in mind also.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have noticed a noise as well it occurs be 1000 rpm and 1300 rpm. Giving the throttle makes it go away, as does letting off the throttle. I am curious to see what your dealers are telling you guy's. Be sure to let us know. These trucks are great, hope this is nothing major. Thank goodness for the warranty huh.

·
Registered
7 Posts
shhhh... I'm listening for noises and vibrations

New to the forum, but have been reading for a month now about this noisy phenomenon. My trucks about a month old and has 999 miles on it. My first vibration started immediatly, sounding like metal vibrating in the dash everytime I accelerated even at idle and and wasn't going away. After about three weeks of listening I popped the hood while the engine was running and noticed a/c line that wraps around radiator, continues along inside of right fender, and eventually through firewall into hvac was vibrating at idle. So I turned off truck and tapped a/c line, gave an immediate vibration because the line rests against black zipties that hold wiring in place. Cut about an 1/8" inch off ziptie making most vibration. Started truck went for a spin and fixed that problem. The next vibration I noticed was passenger side visor. Lots of vibration. Snapped visor half way into clamp for constant tension and no possibility of vibration, problem solved. Next plastic rubbery housing over tweeters in dash on left side vibrate. Add pressure with fingers and vibration stops. Lots of pieces in dash snapped in place but loosely set causing vibration while driving. Lastly black apron between hood and lower outer windshield binds against windshield while driving and causes another squeaky vibration coming from exterior. All sounds resonating into dash and have fooled me. Hope this sheds some light on this unpleasant noisy phenomenon.

·
Registered
7 Posts
follow up....

Thought I fixed problem with visor until it started to vibrate again. Turns out the head liner on passenger side was loose. I realized when pushing on c clamp that holds visor and headliner were moving up towards roof and back down. I ended up pushing clamp up until I heard two clicks. Voila... The headliner snapped into place and no more vibration.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I found that my passenger side visor was making noise, too. I loosened the bracket that the visor snaps into & rotated it a little, which fixed the problem. Little things like that tend to bug me to death.....

John

·
Registered
354 Posts
Thanks for the fix!

Thought I fixed problem with visor until it started to vibrate again. Turns out the head liner on passenger side was loose. I realized when pushing on c clamp that holds visor and headliner were moving up towards roof and back down. I ended up pushing clamp up until I heard two clicks. Voila... The headliner snapped into place and no more vibration.
Thanks dude! My headliner felt loose on passenger side on my 1 week old truck and kinda bounced the visor when on a rough road. The whole front forward side of liner felt loose when gently pushing up. No way this felt right so I went to dealer and checked a bunch of trucks on the lot and they all felt different, some tight, some looser, but all better than mine:wavey:. Dealer service guys said they would need truck for 2 days to R&R headliner. Not wanting to leave it that long right now I told em I'd do it later. I removed the screw holding the C-clamp earlier today and it was pretty short and had no part in holding up headliner, Now, after reading your post I just went outside and pushed up the visor C clip firmly and lo and behold it went SNAP and now the liner is firmly affixed. So, thanks, ya saved me 2 days of unnecessary down time!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.