DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2010, Hemi, Crew Cab has a growling noise under certain conditions, coming from the engine area, through front floorboard, after the last shift, I assume torque converter lockup, in 5th gear only at speeds of 43 - 55 mph. This noise is heard with very slight throttle without downshifting. If it downshifts the sound goes away. This sound is heard in normal drive or with tow haul mode engaged. It happens only occassionally without towing, but very often with my boat being towed. Had to take my boat to the dealer and drive them so they could hear it. Very loud towing my boat. Service manager said it is the exhaust making a resonating sound and says other trucks do it also. Did not have another truck on lot to drive. Does anyone else have this sound on their truck or any ideas of what it might be? Dealer has removed all heat shields on exhaust and reinstalled, but noise is still the same. It has had this noise since new. Today was the 4th time to the dealer and I still have the problem. Sorry for the long post. Thanks to all who might help.

·
Registered
11,547 Posts
I don't have any ideas, but I would stick around and see if somone else chimes in that has that same problem. In the meanwhile, I think I would be tempted to get a second opinion because you are under warranty, correct? This is the first I have read of this though. Best of luck.

·
Registered
868 Posts
My truck does the same thing, it's a very slight noise with a very slight vibration...It's the same thing a manual tranny would do if you were going to slow in high gear. A co worker has the 6 speed tranny and he doesn't have this issue, I have only heard/read about it in the 5 speeds.

·
Registered
402 Posts
slight vibration here in the go pedal and very faintly felt in the steering column.....no noises!
possibly the same or similar yours is just worse but im not gonna call it normal but i think to some degree they all have this.....havent had time to rack it and investigate but ill keep you posted....

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
What RPM does this occur at? about ~1,250~ or so?,,,,,,

I had a heck of a rattle at that rpm, mainly while in MDS,,, Sounded 'exhaust' related. Dodge couldn't figure it out,,, I fixed it with the help of this forum,,,

·
Premium Member
32,675 Posts
when a dealership employee tells anyone that is what they all do, hand them toilet paper to wipe off their lips
Do you really believe that the designers & engineers spent hours & millions of dollars to make a vehicle that makes noises, & vibrates enough to be noticable ??

i think NOT

·
Registered
203 Posts
I notice it when in ECO mode.

My theory is you are at the point of almost but not quite ready to downshift. You typically don't notice it because the avg cruise speeds are well past this point at all gears.

So for instance if the computer says the shift point based on your driving style is at 2500RPMs and you are at 2510RPMs you might feel that rumble persay because the computer is waiting for the drop in RPMs to downshift.

Yes I know 2500RPMs is high.

·
Registered
226 Posts
its mds you are hearing..... mine sounds funky when mds activates almost like a low rumble... it is believe it or not, normal.... when u add an exhaust.... it gets worst lol....

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've noticed a slight noise & gas pedal vibration when I'm slowing down & then holding speed right around 60 - 65kph. It was difinitely coming from the front end, but funny thing is I really haven't noticed it since I put my lift kit on?

·
Registered
226 Posts
the reason ur not feeling it since you lifted it, is because of the extra power needed to move ur truck... i bet ur burning more gas as well

·
Registered
184 Posts
its mds you are hearing..... mine sounds funky when mds activates almost like a low rumble... it is believe it or not, normal.... when u add an exhaust.... it gets worst lol....
saunders1986 nailed it.... it IS the mds causing the rattling engine sound`s.
It actually sounds like an old A/C compressor thats low on freon.
Get use to it or buy another brand of truck, you`ll never get rid of that annoying engine noise. Most people dont even hear it until you point it out to them...lol. I`ve wasted the past year tracking this particular noise down, disable the MDS, noise dosent show up... so my guess, MDS is the 100% culprit. I`ve owned 5 hemi vehicles, 3 without MDS, 2 with MDS. Unless you delete the MDS, learn how to deal with the noise. I`d rather hear the noise nowwww, then i know its gettin me better MPG.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Hmm, I was able to get rid of my noise w/o disabling MDS, and it was 100% 'MDS' related,,, Once you heard it, it was a 'hammering/vibration' type sound that was VERY prominent and nothing you could pass off as 'normal' (even though the dealer tried!)

Might be a different noise than the noise in question though.

Noises heard in person are hard enough to diagnose,,, Noises 'heard' on the internet are even tougher!!! LOL!!

·
Registered
203 Posts
hmm I wonder if its the sound the coming from the closed valves. Oil pressure keeps valves closed which puts the truck in to "Eco" mode.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Mine (and a few others) noise was a resonance of the frame created by the exhaust hangers/isolaters 'hammering' back and forth. This happened only when the motor was vibrating/shaking in MDS mode under just the right amount of load.

Picture a drummer,,,, The exhaust pipe's 'vibration' was the arm, The hangers and isolators were the 'drumstick', and the hollow frame was the 'drum'

This occured near where the cab meets the bed.

The hangers were 'polished' at the isolater locations from the excessive movement .

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hmm, I was able to get rid of my noise w/o disabling MDS, and it was 100% 'MDS' related,,, Once you heard it, it was a 'hammering/vibration' type sound that was VERY prominent and nothing you could pass off as 'normal' (even though the dealer tried!)

Might be a different noise than the noise in question though.

Noises heard in person are hard enough to diagnose,,, Noises 'heard' on the internet are even tougher!!! LOL!!
LOL LOL LOL, i gotta agree, its really tough nailing it down without being in person
These trucks seem to have a bunch of different noise`s going on, BUT ther are many of us on the forums that wont quit until we know what they are

·
Registered
184 Posts
hmm I wonder if its the sound the coming from the closed valves. Oil pressure keeps valves closed which puts the truck in to "Eco" mode.
Your on to it AKFossle,
i think i have to agree to that somewhat

·
Registered
184 Posts
Mine (and a few others) noise was a resonance of the frame created by the exhaust hangers/isolaters 'hammering' back and forth. This happened only when the motor was vibrating/shaking in MDS mode under just the right amount of load.

Picture a drummer,,,, The exhaust pipe's 'vibration' was the arm, The hangers and isolators were the 'drumstick', and the hollow frame was the 'drum'

This occured near where the cab meets the bed.

The hangers were 'polished' at the isolater locations from the excessive movement .
Yup, you hit the nail on the head, i had the same problem with my first 2010
It was the exhaust doing that for sure. Did the damper kit, that particular noise now gone

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Yup, you hit the nail on the head, i had the same problem with my first 2010
It was the exhaust doing that for sure. Did the damper kit, that particular noise now gone
That's what fixed mine as well. About $30 in parts. I believe the dealer is STILL confused on what the issue was,,, :LOL:

·
Registered
63 Posts
That's what fixed mine as well. About $30 in parts. I believe the dealer is STILL confused on what the issue was,,, :LOL:
Wish mine was that easy, I have tried putting the dampener all over the exhaust, still cannot nail it down. I think I may need more than one. Very tough to track down but can make it happen at will about 45-60 mph in Eco mode with light throttle.

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
At first I was of the opinion that what you were hearing was the MDS until I re-read the part about doing it in tow/haul. In tow/haul, the MDS is de-activated, so this can't be the case for you.

My 2010, Hemi, Crew Cab has a growling noise under certain conditions, coming from the engine area, through front floorboard, after the last shift, I assume torque converter lockup, in 5th gear only at speeds of 43 - 55 mph. This noise is heard with very slight throttle without downshifting. If it downshifts the sound goes away. This sound is heard in normal drive or with tow haul mode engaged. It happens only occassionally without towing, but very often with my boat being towed. Had to take my boat to the dealer and drive them so they could hear it. Very loud towing my boat. Service manager said it is the exhaust making a resonating sound and says other trucks do it also. Did not have another truck on lot to drive. Does anyone else have this sound on their truck or any ideas of what it might be? Dealer has removed all heat shields on exhaust and reinstalled, but noise is still the same. It has had this noise since new. Today was the 4th time to the dealer and I still have the problem. Sorry for the long post. Thanks to all who might help.
I do notice in mine...especially when towing....that I have a little more exhaust noise (which is to be expected), and it is a 'growl', so your dealer might not be off base on this. :4-dontknow:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts