DODGE RAM FORUM banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
I notice it when in ECO mode.

My theory is you are at the point of almost but not quite ready to downshift. You typically don't notice it because the avg cruise speeds are well past this point at all gears.

So for instance if the computer says the shift point based on your driving style is at 2500RPMs and you are at 2510RPMs you might feel that rumble persay because the computer is waiting for the drop in RPMs to downshift.

Yes I know 2500RPMs is high.
I second that - I hear/feel the same in eco mode...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Sorry to ruin your MDS theory but my non MDS equipped 2500 does the same thing. While cruising in the 35-45mph range the RPM's are low enought to set up a growl/vibration under the truck just like the OP described. I do belive it's a resonance in the exhaust but I know on my truck MDS is not the cause.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Sorry to ruin your MDS theory but my non MDS equipped 2500 does the same thing. While cruising in the 35-45mph range the RPM's are low enought to set up a growl/vibration under the truck just like the OP described. I do belive it's a resonance in the exhaust but I know on my truck MDS is not the cause.
Big Ed,
go drive a new 09/10 hemi truck with MDS, i bet its not the same noise that we`re talkin about compared to your truck noise.
And you did not mention if your truck was an automatic trans or not (being that your truck is a 2500...stick shift vs auto...?)
Your truck sounds like its an exhaust issue resonating, especially if you lug the engine down.
The 09/10 trucks have more of a rattle up under the hood caused by the MDS...
these newer trucks are sounding like an A/C compressor turning on and off intermittenly

·
Registered
37 Posts
Big Ed,
go drive a new 09/10 hemi truck with MDS, i bet its not the same noise that we`re talkin about compared to your truck noise.
And you did not mention if your truck was an automatic trans or not (being that your truck is a 2500...stick shift vs auto...?)
Your truck sounds like its an exhaust issue resonating, especially if you lug the engine down.
The 09/10 trucks have more of a rattle up under the hood caused by the MDS...
these newer trucks are sounding like an A/C compressor turning on and off intermittenly
My 2500 is an auto and yes my vibe/growl is while the engine appears to lug in overdrive at low speeds. Sorry if I caused confusion but my condition seemed in line with what the OP was describing. I really wish this site had a 2500/3500 specific forum for the 4th gen trucks considering the differences between the 1/2 ton variant.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thanks for all the help guys. It is not the MDS because it does make the noise in tow haul mode or not. Also it is not an exhaust rumble, but a growling, vibrating noise. What is this damper kit that is mentioned in some posts?

·
Registered
325 Posts
DBryant- yes you are right it is not MDS because you are in Tow-haul mode.

When I read your post, I remembered that I also heard this noise when I was towing my trailer this summer. It is like a growling, grrrrrrt, grrrrrrt (sorry best way I could describe it :thk:) noise that seems to come from under the hood. It also did almost have a vibration to it. Almost as if something was rattling under the hood.

I found it showed up once you were up to speed and you were drepressing the pedal enough to keep it at that speed, but not hard enough to kick it down a gear.(so a lower RPM) Kicking it down seemed to take it away. Since it only happened to me when towing without MDS engaged, and happened everytime I towed this summer, I assumed it must be normal.

Let us know if you ever get an answer out of the dealer :box:

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a 2010 Sport Crew Cab with this same issue. Wether ECO is on or off makes no difference. This happens also when Tow/Haul is on or off.

When cruising on the highway at low RPM's I get this noise when there is a slight load on the engine. Does it a lot more when I tow my trailer. I don't yet have a solution. You hear it more than you feel it.

·
Premium Member
32,675 Posts
Just a thought on my part
has anyone tried something like filling a soup can with some weight, like quick setting cement, then using a hose clamp, fasten it to any place where the exhaust comes close to the frame, body, or heat shield?
if there is any contact between the exhaust & other vehicle part, the sound & feel would TRAVEL from that contact point to a different part of the vehicle, you may feel it in the clutch peddle, the steering column, & hear it within the engine compartment

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi guys, whats that damper kit ? Is it cover under warranty ? I got the exact same problem, almost looks like a bearing noise, mine started doing the noise with 300miles, first time was towing my boat but i can hear it always in the same condition as described previosly by almost everybody and for sure it's not the MDS !

Thanks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
slight vibration here in the go pedal and very faintly felt in the steering column.....no noises!
possibly the same or similar yours is just worse but im not gonna call it normal but i think to some degree they all have this.....havent had time to rack it and investigate but ill keep you posted....
I get the exact same symptoms you describe here. Sometimes in mid-turn as well, as if there is a grinding in the front suspension/driveshaft. Hard to tell.

I notice it when in ECO mode.

My theory is you are at the point of almost but not quite ready to downshift. You typically don't notice it because the avg cruise speeds are well past this point at all gears.

So for instance if the computer says the shift point based on your driving style is at 2500RPMs and you are at 2510RPMs you might feel that rumble persay because the computer is waiting for the drop in RPMs to downshift.

Yes I know 2500RPMs is high.

its mds you are hearing..... mine sounds funky when mds activates almost like a low rumble... it is believe it or not, normal.... when u add an exhaust.... it gets worst lol....
I'm pretty sure mine does not have MDS, but would ECO (if the 4.7liter has it) match this same scenario? I have yet to talk with a dealer, but about a hundred or so miles ago the brakes stuttered when this symptom occurred as well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My 2010, Hemi, Crew Cab has a growling noise under certain conditions, coming from the engine area, through front floorboard, after the last shift, I assume torque converter lockup, in 5th gear only at speeds of 43 - 55 mph. This noise is heard with very slight throttle without downshifting. If it downshifts the sound goes away. This sound is heard in normal drive or with tow haul mode engaged. It happens only occassionally without towing, but very often with my boat being towed. Had to take my boat to the dealer and drive them so they could hear it. Very loud towing my boat. Service manager said it is the exhaust making a resonating sound and says other trucks do it also. Did not have another truck on lot to drive. Does anyone else have this sound on their truck or any ideas of what it might be? Dealer has removed all heat shields on exhaust and reinstalled, but noise is still the same. It has had this noise since new. Today was the 4th time to the dealer and I still have the problem. Sorry for the long post. Thanks to all who might help.
Greetings D Bryant,
I have been to my dealer for a similar noise as yours. The 1st time the said it was normal. The 2nd time they said they could hear it. So I actually jacked up the rear wheels chocked the front disabled the stability/traction control and at that speed/ rpm
range found out it was a noise coming form the solenoid pack in the transmission.Try to tell the dealership they look at you with 2 heads. I am going to try to record the sound for them see what happens. Cheers! Geener

·
Registered
6 Posts
My trans is making noise when converter is locked and under a load. Its at the dealer now for the second time, they hear the noise but could find nothing wrong. They checked everything and said its a normal noise. I told them its not but what are you going to do. Definitely an engineering problem and the dealers know about it.I guess Chrysler advised not to do anything about it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sounds like the same issue that I have. It is not related to MDS at all. Sounds like some kind of exhaust rattle. Only at low rpm's between 70km/h and 100km/hr with a very slight load. On my truck it does it when MDS is on or off. Also does it when tow mode is on or off. Definitely worse when I tow my trailer. The dealer tightened up the exhaust which seemed to help a little but I still have the noise.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a 2500 HD, 5.7 V8 and tow a 5th wheel. Noticed the growl/vibration or whatever you call it when the engine lugs at about 1500 rpm (towing or not). We have bantered this about for a while, maybe those of us still in warranty should all make a trip to our dealers and ask them (politely) to get Dodge to address this annoyance. If Chrysler gets enough complaints at once, they will listen. Taking copies of this thread could help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I understand the problem you are having. The dealer can't find mine either. They want to down play the problem because they don"t know what it is. The comments you are gettiong on the forum from everyone is not associated with the noise you and I are hearing. They are still looking for answers. I took my loaded trailer down and took them for a ride and they acknowledge the noise BUT have no answers. My truck is a 2011 5.7HEMI, so they are still producing trucks with this anoying noise.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts