DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

So I bought a 2009 ram 1500 laramie about 2 months ago...love it! except for the fact that I cant lock my tailgate as I plan to get a leer cap in the next few months or so. I spoke to a few dealers and mechanics and pretty much figured out the early 2009 rams didnt come with locking tailgates and didnt start production on them until later that year. So after doing research...A LOT of googling...I came across the parts that will make it exactly like any other newer ram with a locking tailgate.

Below is the link to my how-to video explaining everything you need to do (installation and parts) to get your tailgate to lock...I forgot to mention this tutorial uses only OEM parts, I didn't want to use any aftermarket parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-uwQu5ao1s

Let me know what you think!
Chris

·
Premium Member
32,675 Posts
The video was well done
:rep:

As you mentioned it was for the early 2009 model Rams
Dodge has pretty much called July through June a Model year
Like the 2009 Dodge Ram was built starting in July 2008 through June of 2009

My 2009 Ram was built on October 15th 2008
I bought it in February 2009 & it didn't have the locking tailgate, but i looked around the sales lot a few months later & noticed that a few of the Laramies did have locking tailgates & one even had the backup camera.
After showing the Service Adviser the locking tailgate on one of the Laramies, he took some tools & a camera, pulled what i have been calling the tailgate access panel. Then took pictures that he took to the Parts Dept & told them to do some research & order the parts for me.
The Parts Dept. computer & books were very basic at that time & didn't go into any real detail. So a few incorrect parts came in, but the Parts guy stuck with it & i received the correct parts.

·
Premium Member
32,675 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply. Glad to know everything worked out for you. Did you also get the lock pinned to your key too? Im going to eventually add the backup camera on mine as well as the electronic acuator kit so i can unlock the tailgate wit my keyfob which ill post a video on.

·
Premium Member
32,675 Posts
Yes, my driver side door key also unlocks my tailgate

1 - 6 of 6 Posts