DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

I have a '95 V10 with the automatic. It has a nice firm shift with nothing weird, except for the TC lockup. With OD off, it always locks up at 36 mph, then stay locked until I let off the gas. Even if I slow down, or press the gas pedal to the floor.

With the OD on, it almost always locks up at 53 MPH, and will not unlock until I let go of the gas pedal. Even flooring it, it will stay locked. (Edit: once in a while, it locks up at 48 MPH - this usually seems to happen when on a hill and I need the RPMs up)

When accelerating up a steep hill/under load, this seems to cause it to drop the RPMs too early. The engine will drop to ~1,500 RPM and want to ping/lug.

Every other auto I have driven seems to unlock the converter and/or downshift as needed with load and throttle input. But I've never experienced other V10s/autos.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
'95 2500 8.L 4x4, '03 1500 5.7L 4x4 OffRoad, '85 W350 5.9L, '02 1500 Sport 5.2L
147 Posts
My '95 seems to unlock pretty freely, little too much in fact, as it has a tendency to kind of float at part throttle sometimes. I have a nice cam and set of heads for it, so I think I'd like 3.73 gears, a tighter converter and a little more converter clutch lockup as it pulls well now through 3.54s. The torque converter clutch is controlled by a servo/valve on the valve body which responds to input from the PCM to apply and release line pressure based on road speed, throttle position, temp, etc. You may find some help on one of the Cummins forums, as you share a transmission with diesels of your year. This isn't the place for serious trans questions, you'll get a lot of opinions, guesses, " On my buddy's truck.." or "I knew a guy...." useless conjecture. The service manual is a good place to start. If you don't have one, get one, help for these trucks is a little hard to find. I can send you a digital copy if you like. Good luck, Mike.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply ^^^^

As a follow up to this issue, knock on a pile of wood but it seems to be fixed now. I have replaced all the engine sensors (minus the crank and cam position sensors), as well as fuel pump, and the biggie was intake manifold gaskets. The intake manifold gaskets had one large leak in cylinder #2, and looked to be leaking slightly in 5, 7, and 9. I am guessing the strange vacuum was throwing off the ECU as it was trying to compare vacuum (load) vs throttle position and speed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts