DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys new on the fourum got a problem i just picked up a 97 ram 1500 5.9, a twin to my 97 1599 with a 5.2. heres the problem the 5.9 will not heat up past about 140-150 degrees i found out that recently the waterpump had been replaced with the tstat house and all lines and tstat the tstat thats in there is a 160 degree i have a 180 i bought but wanted to see if this is what is causeing my issue. Note the temp sensor isnt off i can grab ahold of the radiator after driving almost a hour the truck starts shuttering around 55-60 if the gas is held steady it smooths out under 50 or when i have the gas matted to the floor. new wires new stator and the heat dosent get hot soo any ideas fellas is it just the tstat? or do i have bigger problems any assistance is helpfull

Thanks

·
Resident Technician
14,202 Posts
Fix the stat first. After that, I would check the condition of the secondary ignition. Also check on the lower intake plenum pan gasket as it may be blown.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wish i had my camera with me but i looked on the site and did then open throttle test with a flashlight looking into the throttle body and lo and be hold black trace that is still moist so i guess the plenum gasket is in order new tstat is allready here and ready to be put in i know on the site that everyone is going with a hughes intake gasket set but will a standard felpro set work aswell i know my 318 when i rebuilt it i used felpro gaskets and used felpro on pretty much everything else any thoughts

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.