DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all....
I recently brought my rig in to the dealership and asked them to check the brakes. I have a 2010 ram sport hemi with 16k miles that I just bought a few weeks ago.
Now when pushing the brakes it feels a little squishy and I feel like a light pulsatin in the pedal. I would categorize myself as an aggressive driver as well. I don't know if this is normal being this is my first full size truck and maybe it's a normal characteristic of a heavy truck with 20's on it.
But when I had it checked they said all brakes were good with 80-90 percent wear left.
So I was just wondering if someone can enlighten me on this before I go spend thousands on upgrading the rotors and brakes.
Thanks.... Eric B.

·
Registered
2020 Ram Sport, night edition
1,519 Posts
Is this possibly your ABS starting to work? what kind on road surface where you on at the time? I find my pedal kind of moves slightly (not quite sure how to decribe it but i would not say pulsates) for just a second before the abs kicks in and you get that awful sound of the brakes working with the abs. Next time it does this press the brake just a bit more and see if you ABS starts stuttering your brakes for you

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will definately try that crash..but there is a definate little pulse there, I have an appointment Tom. AGain at the dealership and they are going to actually drive it this time, so I'll keep ya posted..tx for the reply.
Eric B.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I'm betting it's just the ABS working if you drive aggressively. My Ram's ABS is more active than any other truck i've owned.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
could your rotors be out of round/ warped?

I've got a similar truck to what you've got, with almost 15K miles, and I've not experienced any of what you described

good luck and keep us informed

Exco

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Hi all....
I recently brought my rig in to the dealership and asked them to check the brakes. I have a 2010 ram sport hemi with 16k miles that I just bought a few weeks ago.
Now when pushing the brakes it feels a little squishy and I feel like a light pulsatin in the pedal. I would categorize myself as an aggressive driver as well. I don't know if this is normal being this is my first full size truck and maybe it's a normal characteristic of a heavy truck with 20's on it.
But when I had it checked they said all brakes were good with 80-90 percent wear left.
So I was just wondering if someone can enlighten me on this before I go spend thousands on upgrading the rotors and brakes.
Thanks.... Eric B.
Sounds like you are experiencing typical dodge brakes to me. (spongy)
Only truck i`ve seen worse....CHEVY...!!!! Ford isnt much better either.
Your dealer should have at least road tested your truck, no excuse for that..!
If you feel pulsations and dont hear the ABS pump running, most likely warped rotors.
Upgrade to drilled rotors, ceramic pads, they`ll out perform the stock parts.

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
The pulsation is likely the ABS system
when one wheel begins to skid, the sensor sends a command to back the pressure off on that wheel just a bit, this happens every time a wheel starts to skid, on some vehicles it pulsates more then others, a bit more or less pressure on the pedal takes the heaviest pulsation away. Hard or Panic braking bypasses the ABS.

I took part in the first testing of the ABS system in San Diego. Some of the vehicle manufacturers vehicles were flat scary, when it came to the pulsing
Back then if a Highway Patrolman was to key his microphone, it would sometimes lock up a semi trucks air brakes, if it had ABS.
It was to say the least, very interesting

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Sounds like you are experiencing typical dodge brakes to me. (spongy)
Only truck i`ve seen worse....CHEVY...!!!! Ford isnt much better either.
Your dealer should have at least road tested your truck, no excuse for that..!
If you feel pulsations and dont hear the ABS pump running, most likely warped rotors.
Upgrade to drilled rotors, ceramic pads, they`ll out perform the stock parts.
Sorry for the late update, I brought it back in and it was test driven and everything checked out great, rotors and pads are good. So yes I chalked this feeling up to me not be familiar with BIG truck brakes being this is my first full size truck. I have always owned small to mid size trucks/suv's for the winter and mustangs during the summer, not to mention before I bought this truck I was pretty use to my 2010 shelby brakes (brembo's) so Def to different worlds.
Anyways over the last week or so I do seem to be getting more use to them. My truck has 17,000 miles on it and when it is time to replace the brakes I will Def be upgrading to cross drilled/slotted rotors and upgraded pads, simply cause I feel that it will be that much better with them.
Thanks for all the replies fellas and now for more important things my SuperChips cortex is COMING TODAY.....

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
don't mind the next 10 posts or so

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am needing 10 more

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ridiculous...........

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hopefully admistration

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
doesn't get mad at this

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
but I am desperate to talk to

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
a certain member about

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
my superchips cortex....

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
sorry alllll................................

1 - 20 of 21 Posts