DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was bored tonight and decided to compare a Ford and a Chevy truck to what I just ordered. All I can say now I know why I have owned Chrysler products since 1995. Wow those trucks were really lacking when compared to what I got.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I went to test drive a new Silverado and two of them wouldn't even start. Supposedly the first was out of gas. The second, according to the salesman,"This never happens, it must have been a really cold night and that's why it won't start," it was may 15 F. I live in a mountainous terrain where it gets below 0 degrees Fahrenheit. Not at all impressed with the 2012 Silverado. My Ram has so many noises that I question its longevity. Had it two weeks and the CV Boot ruptured, my trans screams like an upset child in the 1000-1500 RPM range(and a couple other issues I've posted and replied too), I get a messed up starting noise that sounds like the brakes gripping the rotors at low speeds, and it looks like the truck was leaking antifreeze where the radiator hose goes into the engine. All of the American trucks seem to have their problems?

I chose Ram because the trucks are freakin' sexy and have tons of power. Love the truck other than these items.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you let it warm up at all? I don't think the transmission whine is a big deal. Every one I've owned has whined when cold at low speed. I've not had an issue. Overall I have had nothing but good luck knock on wood.

·
Registered
15,700 Posts
dodge is something, suck you in with a great looking truck, add some bells and whistles, force you to take a test drive, then give you a price that other brands can't touch. loked at ford and chevy also, couldn't touch what dodge gives us.

·
Registered
13 Posts
so, I'm a Chevy convert. I'll add in my experience.

I had a 2007 Silverado LTZ. it was 4x4, extended cab and even had the 6.0L in it. it had all the bells and whistles an LTZ has, except the Nav and the sunroof.

It had 2 oil leaks, the driver's side power folding mirror was broken, the passenger side rear door window motor was busted, several trim pieces were broken... it had 60k miles when I traded it in a week ago.

I couldn't be happier with my Ram in the week I've owned it. I know it's only a week old and I have to give it time, but it just seems like a better built vehicle from the get-go.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I went to test drive a new Silverado and two of them wouldn't even start.
:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL: LOL!!! Are you freaking serious! I was always steered away from Chevy by my stepdad but that is just ridiculous right there. That salesman had to be thinking "well, not going to get this sale now". Didn't start because it was cold? Unless you're living in Antarctica, that should not be a problem.

So far I'm happy with my Ram. I was drawn in by the Express package when that was introduced in 2011, then they came out with 4 door express models and I was sold. I get the best looking truck on the road with enough extras for me at the price that I could get a base v6 F150. Yeah, guess which one I'm going with....

HEMI:smileup:

·
Registered
563 Posts
I have owned a few new Chevy and Ford pickups over the years, I'm not super picky and seldom keep a truck more than two years/30K miles so I dont see a lot of long term issues. But they all have their little quirks, all you have to do is visit the other forums and read, sooner or later you realize that even high end cars/trucks have their problems.

IMO you really get a lot of bang for your buck with the Dodge trucks, Ford has really gotten expensive and the lower end interiors really look cheap. GM hasnt had a major redesign in years and hopping in a new 2012 it doesnt really drive any different then they did in 1999. I've test drove a couple of the imports and while they looked/drove nice they just havent been able to copy the American pickup truck formula yet.

And then there is always the looks of it, I dont know why but to me the Dodges are just great looking pickups. The Fords are boxes and GMs are just bland, thats just subjective but when you are making a major purchase may as well like the way it looks.

I have a nice Laramie with remote start, backup cam, heated/cooled seats, trailer brake controller/big hitch, 20" wheels, anti-spin and 4x4 for 4-5K less than I could have bought a similar Chevy or Dodge for - cant beat that IMO. I had a 2010 Laramie previously and I knew what to expect, I was scared to get rid of the 2010 since I had no issues with it, time will tell but so far I'm happy with the '12.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
This is my First Ram, had a Grand Cherokee before, Before I bought this truck I went and did a test drive of the F150, the Tundra and the silverado, and tell you, the ram was the best ride, best interior and exterior looking truck and was the best bang for the money, best warranty, and up to date, been 2 months, still love my truck.

·
Registered
65 Posts
This is my first Chrysler product too, before this I was in a '00 Ford F-150, which was a very strong truck, had 254K on her when I sold it. I have a buddy that has an '09 1500 SLT, his truck sold me on the ride and such, and if it weren't for that, I probably wouldn't even tried a Dodge.

·
Registered
471 Posts

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
I am a Chevy guy & i would be driving a new one now if the salesman didn't irritate me so much, he was talking out of his butt

Dodge looks OK if you want the semi truck look
The transmission is old & outdated, it was first made for the 1999 Jeep, they just made software changes since then
The 5.7 engine has been around since 2002 mid year
MDS was added in the 2006 Ram 1500s
The Chrysler rear ends were real strong until mid year 2010 & look at what you have since then

All in all, i am glad that i bought my 2009 Ram 1500
It came with a Lifetime Drive Train Warranty
It rides better then any Ford or Chevy pickup
The interior is great
I was going to buy another new one next year, but that is put off for at least until the 2014 model year, i want to see how all the new stuff works

I will buy another Chevy 1/2 ton, but it will be a 1956 Chevy 3100 highly modified

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
I was bored tonight and decided to compare a Ford and a Chevy truck to what I just ordered. All I can say now I know why I have owned Chrysler products since 1995. Wow those trucks were really lacking when compared to what I got.

What exactly was the comparison you made?

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
your not the only one who feels good about the ram...check this out... http://www.truckinweb.com/features/1206tr_truckins_2012_half_ton_truck_shootout/
I'm amazed the Ford F-150 FX2 2WD SuperCrew wins that shootout.

The Ram 1500 Sport Crew Cab 4x4 pretty much exceeds in [just about] every area between the two, yet finishes second.

"..... the Ram is an excellent choice when looking for a truck that does everything well."

Just that statement alone should have sealed the deal for the Ram.

Just goes to show how subjective these comparisons/tests are.

·
Registered
124 Posts
:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL: LOL!!! Are you freaking serious! I was always steered away from Chevy by my stepdad but that is just ridiculous right there. That salesman had to be thinking "well, not going to get this sale now". Didn't start because it was cold? Unless you're living in Antarctica, that should not be a problem.

So far I'm happy with my Ram. I was drawn in by the Express package when that was introduced in 2011, then they came out with 4 door express models and I was sold. I get the best looking truck on the road with enough extras for me at the price that I could get a base v6 F150. Yeah, guess which one I'm going with....

HEMI:smileup:
That's exactly what drew me to Ram, so much truck for the money. And yeah this really did happen, LOL! The more I think about it, it is bordering on too stupid to make-up.

·
Registered
441 Posts
When I first came to the States about 20 yrs ago I leased a Ford ranger 4x4 STX great little truck no problems for 100,00.In 97 bought a Ram 4x4 5.9 never realized it was it was a Laramie drove it for over 200,00 before I sold it had a few problems mainly between 100,00 and 140,00 but never really serviced it properly after about 100,00 but she kept running. Read all the write up's about the 2009 never considered another make. Had a couple of minor issues but could't wish for a better truck. I so miss it as I have been out of the country for the last six months all being well will return early May, She just been sitting outside a friends house in the woods out of the way locked up hope all is well with it. The 97 was left there for over a year and nearly started first time not quite enough in the battery.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I am a Chevy guy & i would be driving a new one now if the salesman didn't irritate me so much, he was talking out of his butt

Dodge looks OK if you want the semi truck look
The transmission is old & outdated, it was first made for the 1999 Jeep, they just made software changes since then
The 5.7 engine has been around since 2002 mid year
MDS was added in the 2006 Ram 1500s
The Chrysler rear ends were real strong until mid year 2010 & look at what you have since then

All in all, i am glad that i bought my 2009 Ram 1500
It came with a Lifetime Drive Train Warranty
It rides better then any Ford or Chevy pickup
The interior is great
I was going to buy another new one next year, but that is put off for at least until the 2014 model year, i want to see how all the new stuff works

I will buy another Chevy 1/2 ton, but it will be a 1956 Chevy 3100 highly modified
Styling is a pretty subjective thing, I'm glad Ford, GM and Dodge all look different, gives a choice at least.

The rear end thing I dunno, 3rd gens had their share of issues, friend of mine actually broke an axle off at the flange with his 2004 (may have been an '05) towing his car on an open trailer. Forgetting to fill them up really doesnt count, time will tell how the newer rear holds up. Dodge has 98,000 more miles to worry about the rear in this '12 - not me :)

I agree on the trans, its not that great, but at least they arent dying.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts