DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought adding an amp to my JL speakers would be great and no big deal as I have put them in my 4 previous vehicles; however, that was not that case. Please offer any advice.
Problem 1: Loud popping occurs then the amp cuts on.
Problem 2: 1 speaker plays sometimes and cuts out other times or makes crackling sounds, I've checked all the wires and they look good.
Problem 3: I mounted my down low and it keeps the see from being able to open up all the way, I guess maybe I need to move it further up??

I thought it could be a grounding issue but i used the bolt that holds on those loops behind the seat and sanded off all the paint. The ground connector to amp, could it be the problem because it is less than ideal. I had to trim the spade connect that came with the kicker amp kit because it wouldn't fit in the ground hole...this is a huge nightmare to say the least.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey TNHemi12,
I have the same problem you seem to be having. I have a 2011 ram sport crew with the the 730N head unit. I added an LCQ1 line out converter so I could add my 500/5 jl amp and 10" stealth box. I even upgraded the front and rear speakers. I get the crackling noise at low volume and then get to 10 on the volume I hear a popping noise and it drops the volume down but clears up sound. Sometimes the volume just gets higher and lower for no reason. I also checked all wiring and speaker connections and can not find anything wrong. Let me know if you get any anwsers for your problem, it may help me also.

·
Registered
409 Posts
SOunds like you have an onboard amp that is trying to feed the speaker level inputs you have tapped into to feed the amp. I've had this happen to few folks trying home installs with the old Bose systems in cars. Not sure what the fix would be except a new aftermarket head unit.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Agreed, that's what it sounds like to me to. Another possibility could possibly be resistance if you don't have an amp in the system. Check your ohm's on the speakers, it could be a matter of load resistors potentially needing to be added. That sounds a little unlikely, but possible...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts