DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a 90 Dakota 4WD w/excellent rubber, no dents, some paint for $200. Odometer says 152K.It's been used mostly on a ranch. It sat for over a year and started right up with acharge and old gas!

VIN=1B7GG26XLS67xxxx. Everything works great except as follows:

The transmission, NV2500, is noisy in neutral, but it shifts and runs quietly most of the time when under power. It's been "rebuilt" a couple of times. One mechanic replaced an ovalized pilot bearing. I doubt anyone ever checked the runout of the flywheel to bell housing. A rebuild kit runs about $200 incl. synchronizers and shipping.

The engine (3.9L) starts and runs great, but it appears to have been worked on.... maybe replaced, which could account for transmission problems.

A nasty problem appeared: The oil pressure, tested with mechanical gauge, at start-up is around 50#. Once the engine temp gets close to normal, the pressure slo..owly reduces to 25#. Rev up the engine and it returns to 50#; let up and back to 25#. Checked the plug between the filter in/out passages and get 7 5/8"; this is in range.

I'd like to do all the repairs at one time.

I'm asking for advice and/or opinions regarding the transmission rebuild, plus any knowledge of quirks and help with the oil pressure problem before I have to remove the front axles and differential to replace the pump.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts