DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys, New York is at it again. I understand there reasoning for adding this to the New York State Inspection process but just sucks for anyone that wants to look cool.....hahaha

Will be in effect in Janurary 1 2017

Window Tint Added to
Vehicle Inspections

Beginning January first, vehicle safety inspections must include window tint. Earlier this
week, the Governor signed into law A.4106 (Assemblyman DenDekker, D. Queens), now Chapter 444 of the Laws of 2016. The companion Senate bill, S.6034-A, had been sponsored by Senator John DeFrancisco of Syracuse, the Deputy Republican Leader.

The bill is awkwardly worded, but its thrust is to prohibit window tinting "which has a light transmittance of less than seventy percent." Vehicle & Traffic Law § 301(c)(1)(a), as amended. NYSADA had long and successfully opposed this bill on the ground that safety inspection requirements should not be increased without a supporting increase in the inspection fee. We withdrew our opposition at the request of law enforcement. Police representatives expressed deep concern about approaching a vehicle when they could not see inside the vehicle. NYSADA made the determination not to take a position that could jeopardize police safety.

The Department of Motor Vehicles is authorized to issue implementing regulations. NYSADA has been in touch with DMV to begin discussions on the implementation of this new requirement. NYSADA has asked that the inspection fee be increased in recognition of the new costs that inspection stations will incur.

Given that this new requirement was enacted so close to the effective date, we will impress upon DMV the need for immediate, clear guidance on implementation. We will also urge that this new law not be enforced until inspection stations have had an adequate opportunity to understand the new requirement and purchase whatever equipment may be necessary. We will provide implementation information to you as quickly as it is provided to us. If you have any questions about this issue, please contact the Association at (518) 463-1148 and speak to Ed Richardson (ext.210) or Peter Marthy (ext. 206).

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
did NYS merged with California? they do stuff like that too...
But honestly- I have a 70% tint at the front door windows and I admit- in the dark, I have to roll my windows down to see something when backing up. But I also like it, that I can pick my nose or make obscene gestures to all the idiots around me in traffic and nobody sees me :gy:

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so does that count for the powers that be ? the limos some of them ride in is kind of dark.
Well the funny part is after Governor Cuomo made this public he walked outta the building and got into his super limo tinted vehicle.

did NYS merged with California? they do stuff like that too...
But honestly- I have a 70% tint at the front door windows and I admit- in the dark, I have to roll my windows down to see something when backing up. But I also like it, that I can pick my nose or make obscene gestures to all the idiots around me in traffic and nobody sees me :gy:
That is true i have to roll my windows down to, but yes NY generally follows along with California when it comes to stuff like this. Picking your nose is always fun....hahahahaha

·
Registered
31 Posts
Window tint laws in New York State haven't changed. The front windows and windshield tint rules have been on the books for decades. Its been added to the required annual vehicle safety inspection. No inspection = no registration renewal.

The change was as direct result of the murder of NYPD Police Officer Russel Timoshenko. Officer Timoshenko and his partner Officer Yan stopped a BMW which had license plates belonging to another vehicle. The BMW was stolen. The window tint was excessively dark and the officers could not see inside. Officer Timoshenko was shot in the face and neck and died 5 days later. He was 23 years old.

As a retired member of the NYPD I support the police. I understand why this change was enacted and support it also.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Window tint laws in New York State haven't changed. The front windows and windshield tint rules have been on the books for decades. Its been added to the required annual vehicle safety inspection. No inspection = no registration renewal.

The change was as direct result of the murder of NYPD Police Officer Russel Timoshenko. Officer Timoshenko and his partner Officer Yan stopped a BMW which had license plates belonging to another vehicle. The BMW was stolen. The window tint was excessively dark and the officers could not see inside. Officer Timoshenko was shot in the face and neck and died 5 days later. He was 23 years old.

As a retired member of the NYPD I support the police. I understand why this change was enacted and support it also.
Correct, please don't take my post as a bitch session on the law. I am a huge supported of the Police, and i totally get it based on that reasoning. Thanks to the media or thanks to my own dumb ass self for not reading further into it. Thanks for your services

·
Registered
70 Posts

my point was, the powers that be make these laws but follow none themselves.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I'm a current police officer and I do understand the law but these inspections are ridiculous! I live in Florida where we don't do emissions or any other inspection and we don't pay yearly taxes on our cars like in Virgina and other states. I feel for you guys that live in inspection states.

·
Premium Member
34,751 Posts
Typical East Coast police state regulation, creating another law when another either already exists, or just isn't necessary. Virginia is no surprise, it is run by a New Yorker.

IDK about y'all but when I get pulled over I roll the window down when I pull over so my hands can be on the steering wheel when the cop approaches instead of moving down to flick the window switch. He can already see by reading my plates that I have a CHL and probably have a gun so I have no desire to create unnecessary anxiety or confusion

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
Thunder- exactly- roll the window down and keep the hands on the wheels. let the officer tell you what to do and be honest- they know, when you lie. admit, get your ticket and done- at the end- even the officer is just doing his job, doing, what he get's paid for. That's why I have the same respect for a trash-pick up guy as I have for a McDonald worker, sales person, cop, up to the manager- and it's up to them to loose it with their actions.
But in case of an interaction with law enforcement there is one big rule- comply now, complain later. If you do this, you will see, how easy you go around.
I have deepest respect for law enforcement- risk their lifes for little more than a McDonald shift leader every day. I believe, they are happy too, if a normal traffic stop does not escalate in a shoot out.
God bless the men in blue. and tell them new Yorkers- keep your stuff up there- we don't need it down south.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I understand the reasoning behind it but why can't the exemptions be the same across each state? I have facial Vitiligo and in FL that is a allowable reason to have window tint. In NY it is not. Its a medical condition, not right.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
my point was, the powers that be make these laws but follow none themselves.
Aint that the truth! I live in jersey :( and the tint laws are only for people who don't work for the state. You can have tints on the windows from the b pillar back but not the sides. Cops,state, federal etc can have them black as night! The only way you can do it is to have something from a doctor that states you have and issue with your eyes and need tints. ANY tints on side windows are not allowed. Total BS!

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
im also with nypd and some of the tints are way to dark, so its true if you have to walk up on vehicle you dont know what your walking into so they should ban the tint on front of vehicles, mine aint tinted in front and nine out of ten times they aint rolling down there front windows here.

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
rockyko- well- when it's 30 below I would not roll my windows down either...
what do you do, if someone out of state has the tints and just visiting someone?
Other than that- I totally agree with you. Here in SC it's legal but the overall habit here is- if you get pulled over, we roll the window down right then. People down here have still respect from law enforcement and also down here, you can expect that people have a gun somewhere in the car- even though not everyone has it- I don't for example, but the reason is clear: if someone breaks into your car, the gun is gone. I also don't carry, because of two reasons- I don't even wear a watch because it irritates me and the other reason- I'm somewhat military trained and know what to do, if I have to. plus I know when to leave and where not to go. keeps me out of trouble. I know, never say never, but I think if someone goes into central park at 2 in the morning with a wallet full of cash, he asks for it.
back to the tint- down here, you need it. even in the winter- when the sun is out- and that's very often- the truck heats up like an oven and it blinds you. I know both sides and all I can say- if you tint, don't make it hard on the cop and roll the freaking window down, lay your hands on the steering wheel and comply. makes it easy for all involved. but you will always find the idiot, who thinks he is a gangster. He will give you trouble tint or not tint. I never understood, why people think it's cool to be a bad boy. put them in jail, let them experience the other meaning of "Jesus loves you" for a week- they never do it again.

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
God bless you and keep you safe- thank you for your service. I know you put your life on the line every day you leave the house to serve and protect us.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.