DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried looking this up in another post as i thougt i have seen it somewhere but could not find it again, so sorry if this is being repeated.

My O/D OFF light comes on by itself if i am pulling my camper or when I drive uphill for an extended amount of time. I cannot turn it off. I have to just wait til it goes off by itself. And...., of course, I have no overdrive while it is on.

I Just in the last couple days have installed an extra trans cooler and a new speed sensor. Have not had it out yet enough to test yet.

It is almost as though it is telling me the tranny is getting too hot. During hunting season I pull my camper up in the mountains for quite a ways and the light will come on shortly before the "trans temp" light. this has happened twice but i know that is because of the steep grade for such a long ways. My tire size does not help this I know. I just don't know why the "O/D OFF" comes on when not under a load. And it only happens going uphill.

If anybody else has seen this or knows what causes it please let me know. I am at a loss!!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had the same issue with my truck.. Check the sensor that kicks that light on and see if it is bad.. you may not have anything wrong except a bad sensor.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I am pretty sure that this is normal operation, until I put the aux coolers on my trucks, this was a regular thing,(tranny trying to save it's own life) I've never gone so far as to have gotten a temp trans light tho. In OD your trans is making an amazing amount of low rpm heat, I think, more rpm = more hyd pressure = less internal slippage? I may be wrong, but I remember on the a727b's in my old runners and chargers, kickdown linkage adjustments were critical, because the kickdown link was critical to modulated pressure, controlling slippage, and destructive heat. I may be oversimplifying, but I'm pretty certain pulling hard at a low rpm spells death to trannies. case in point, my kid used to do cruise nights in overdrive in an 86 T/A, cooked transmissions were the result, according to the tranny shop, after they had money in hand, it oughtta say something about that in the manuals, but it doesn't...

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know if it happened to me, the first thing I'd do is monitor the tach an look for the higher rpms once the light comes on. That would determine whether its just a faulty sensor or if it's actually falling out of O/D.
My O/D control has been completely manual, it does not change unless I push the button, mine is a '98 though. I have had to rebuild my tranny but the mechanic told me it was vulnerable to damage from the factory. They put a checkball in it to keep fluid from back draining that wasn't necessary and inhibits flow that causes the damage. The mechanic said: "whenever we get one of these trucks in for tranny service, one of the first things we do is take out that @#$% checkball."

·
Registered
793 Posts
when your towing you shouldnt have it in OD anyways unless your on a nice long stretch of highway with no hills or anything

1 - 5 of 5 Posts