DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 4x2 with the 5.7L HEMI engine, i've had it for 6 1/2 years, it has 112k miles. 3 years ago, i had dual flows installed, and last summer, i installed a K&N cold air kit. Everything else is stock. The other day my check engine light came on, i pulled the code, P0430; passenger side catalytic error.

I got to thinking, i went to auto zone before the end of the year and bought oil/ filter to change my oil and the guy insisted i use the lucas fuel additive. (i've used different ones in the past, but not this one).

would this cause one of those 2 o2 sensors on that bank to mis-read? I've read online different things for the past hour and have found different items.

My engine seems to run fine, no issues, i've kept it up through the years. I looked under the truck and didnt see any physical damage to the cat or the welds around the cat and the exhaust pipe. and i did pull of the neg cable on the battery to reset the system, but the code came back.

Should i replace both of the o2 sensors on the passenger side? There only $23 a piece at Auto Zone.

·
Registered
140 Posts
There's a few quick tests you can do to your converter to check if it is working properly. First you can take a pyromter and measure the inlet and outlet temperatures. The outlet temperature should be at least 100 degrees F above the inlet. Also, take a rubber mallet and lightly tap the converter, it should be solid with no rattling to it at all.

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
P0430; passenger side catalytic error
You can't simply say the cat is bad from a code. It should tell you what sensor it is (upstream or downstream). Upstream is before the cat, downstream is after the cat. I assume since you are questioning the cat it is the downstream sensor. It could be either the sensor or the cat.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts