DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are you guys all running 89 octane in your pw ? I recently purchased a 2009 w 50k and Ive been running 87 octane and it started with the pinging. I put 89 in this week and it improved some. Just curious. I see the owners manual calls for 89.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I have been running 87 for a few weeks now. Granted, I have only had the truck about 2 months with 5k miles. With gas prices at $4 this week, I have been running 87. I should run the 89, I prefer it, but ya know. I have not heard any pinging or any other noises running it. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
The owners manual recommends mid grade, but it also reads that 87 is OK
If you start getting the engine pinging noise, go with the mid grade.

I have been using mid grade when my tank is close to empty, then 87 octane when my tank is over 1/2, so far i have not had any pinging.
I now have 62,000 miles on my HEMI, just getting broke in

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
91 in both....MPGs suck no matter what :D silly right foot

·
Registered
81 Posts
I use 89. With 87 I get some pinging. For me it's @$12-$14 more per tank to fill with 89.& the truck seems to run better.

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
I use 89. With 87 I get some pinging. For me it's @$12-$14 more per tank to fill with 89.& the truck seems to run better.
89 cost ~$0.50/gal more than 87 for you!? That's crazy! 93 doesn't even cost $0.50/gal more than 87 where I live...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.