DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I am sure I am not explaining this correctly... but I am going to try. Have only had the truck a week or two. We tow horses (bought the 1500, 5.7 liter, with the 3.92 axle) and I asked about an integrated brake controller... or was it at least wired for one. Salesman said there was not a physical module... it had a feature. He said that there was a feature in tow/haul mode than when a trailer was hooked up and if you hit the brakes... the truck had an integrated feature that helped with the braking.

I consider myself pretty knowledgeable about such things. I was pretty confident the dealer was talking out of his azz. No problem, we loved the truck, and it was no problem for us to bu a $100 tekonsha unit and throw it in.

cut to this last weekend > wifey took the new truck and her horse and trailer on its maiden adventure (we've been in a Tundra the last 11 years). She said she thinks it really did have some kind of support. It worked.

Is there such a thing? If so, what it is called and how does it work? Some additional info

truck is the big horn package, the trailer is a 2 horse featherlite gooseneck.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I talked again to the dealer, who told me it was called "integrated trailer braking technology". It sounds like BS, but the wife has been towing horses for a decade, and she says whatever the heck it is... it works.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
"integrated trailer braking technology" is an option that should come with the towing package. If you have this feature than there should be a controller to the left of the steering wheel on 09/11 models as it is on mine. Newer models this controller is under the radio with the rest of the push buttons. The controller will have a digital readout 0-10 with + and - buttons for adjustment of the trailer braking force. If you don't have this controller you don't have "integrated trailer braking technology", although it can be added after the fact.
This technology is not incorporated into the tow/haul feature. The tow/haul mode changes a vehicle's transmission shift patterns. Pulling a heavy load requires a lot of power. The tow/haul mode reduces shift cycles and eliminates overdrive gear. It does not apply braking force to the trailer. At least that is the way mine works, if it's different on the newer models someone with a new rig please chime in.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Richard,

thank you. That is the thing, there is NOT a brake controller mounted anywhere. I have been towing for 15 years, I know what to look for. Basically, there is no interface with the driver. it does have Tow/Haul mode. But, we are thinking there is some other feature where computers are handling or assisting trailer braking and handling.

maybe, it is just a great tow/haul mode. our last truck was an 2007 Tundra, so that is what I have for frame of reference. the tow/haul mode on that basically retarded shift points, and assisted with engine braking.

·
Premium Member
32,663 Posts
Your signature reads 2018 Ram
This section is the
1ST Generation Dodge Ram – 1993 & Older Dodge Ram Trucks > Towing

You would get more & some what better answers if you were to start a thread in the

2018 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2018 Dodge Ram!
which is
https://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=315

or even better in this section
DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, & Solutions - Maintenance & Repair > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram – 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks
https://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=202

=================================================

The 2018 Integrated Brake Controller would be mounted here
You may or may not have the full floor console shown in the image

·
Premium Member
32,663 Posts
The 2018 Ram 1500 & other years 2009 & newer have a type of ESP

ESP = ELECTRONIC STABILITY CONTROL

The 2018 Ram 1500 features Electronic Stability Control it is a sophisticated system that helps the driver stay in control under adverse conditions.
This feature includes Hill Start Assist, Trailer Sway Control, Rain Brake Support, Brake Assist and Ready Alert Braking.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The ESP will apply power to a wheel if vehicle detects slippage so the driver can maintain control of the Truck. It has nothing to do with Integrated Electric Brake Controller which applies power to the ELECTRIC Brakes on a trailer..

Does the horse trailer have Electric Brakes???

You can add a factory Controller for about $400...They plug directly into the harness and dealer turns it on in the ECM..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts