DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

So I got an 01 Ram 1500, 4x4, 5.9 Magnum. When I first bought it, I noticed the heat wasn't working in colder temps. So I replaced the thermostat. Still didn't work, then I noticed a leak in the radiator. Replaced it. Flushed the core, and converted the blend door to a manual one(dropped the actuator and claimed a small set of vice grips on the metal pivot hinge). Checked everything with a thermal infared gun after driving a while. Hoses all check out, but the heat never blew any hotter than 90 degrees at the top vents. Also, the bottom of the plastic housing for the heater core measured 116 degrees, any ideas and help would be appreciated.

·
Resident Technician
14,202 Posts
If your heater hose temps are roughly the same as the radiator hose temps, then you probably need a heater core. Sometimes the one you have is beyond what a flushing can fix.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Let's try this, my heat blows lukewarm at idle, as the RPM's go up, the hear gets hotter, any ideas?

·
Resident Technician
14,202 Posts
Increased coolant flow is obviously making a difference. Either you have an air pocket or a restriction in the core.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sounds more like a vacuum leak. Check all your vacuum lines, especially the one to your cruise actuator under the battery platform. As you raise the RPM you raise the vacuum....I'm sure you understand....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts