DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 9 years, mine finally croaked. Is this normal, or do I need to look into something else? Myself, I am kinda amazed that it has lasted this long. Any ideas what it could be? Maybe just age?

·
It's Showtime!
624 Posts
My 1st one lasted 8-1/2 years. Good luck getting an aftermarket one to last that long. I'm on my 3rd now in my 1500 (it's a 2005).

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So aftermarket batteries aren't as good as OEM? I would have assumed that they would in fact be better than OEM.

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
It probably died of old age. I had to have mine replaced after 2 years and the dealer put in an Interstate. Google search "car battery review" and see what comes up.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there anything I need to be concerned with when replacing it? You know, such as any of the computers, etc? Don't want any surprises.

·
It's Showtime!
624 Posts
So aftermarket batteries aren't as good as OEM? I would have assumed that they would in fact be better than OEM.
I can say that I've never had an aftermarket last as long as the ones in my 1500 & 09 Challenger. They were both older than 8 years when I changed them & I believe the one in the Challenger was not bad as I was chasing down a fault that it did not correct. The 2nd one in the 1500 lasted 3 years or so. I've since replaced with AGMs so I'll see how they do.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was considering going with an AGM, as well. Don't really know anything about those batteries, though.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Consider yourselves lucky. Most batteries in south Texas last 3-4 years at the max. Aftermarkets seem to last 2-3 years.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That just has me curious. I would think that aftermarket batteries would be of much better quality than OEM ones.

·
Registered
3 Posts
After 9 years, mine finally croaked. Is this normal, or do I need to look into something else? Myself, I am kinda amazed that it has lasted this long. Any ideas what it could be? Maybe just age?
Age is only part of a vehicle’s life , proper maintenance, mileage and the conditions a vehicle are put through.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My wife's 2007 Charger SRT battery lasted until Dec 2018. That was the longest I've ever seen a battery last. It had just turned 100k on the odometer. But when that sucker went, it went.

·
Registered
6 Posts
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L Cummins diesel, original batteries. Am I living on borrowed time?

Could be, wish I got the life you did. 2016 Ram 3500 6.7 L Cummins, just had one battery fail, about 43000 miles, most towing 5th wheel. Replaced both with Diehard AGM. Hope they last longer than OEM. Bought battery tester and failed battery only good for 11.36 V, 39 CCA (vs 730 CCA). Second battery tested 12.7V, 581 CCA.

·
Registered
9 Posts
One thing about batteries that most people don’t know is if you drain a battery down so far you need a jump say playing the stereo while parked or leaving a light on all night. The cars alternator will not charge that battery to full capacity. It will get it up to around 75% that’s it. Then from there on out you are living in borrowed time. Buy a good charger and if you ever drain it like that charge it with that charger and you will save yourself some headaches for Sure.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Mine in the 2014 only lasted three years, the replacement has gone three so far. Florida seems to be tough on batteries especially near the coast.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts