DODGE RAM FORUM banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 2007 3500 with the 6.7 Cummins. Got up one morning, about 24°F, on a fishing trip and batteries wouldn't even click the starter. Got a jump and went to a Les Schwab store to get them replaced. Should of seen the look on the guys face when I said "You'd expect stock batteries to last more than 12 years." He said "Batteries don't last much over 5 years." They were stock in my rig set up for camper use.

·
Registered
15 Posts
As the real world shows, batteries are very different. I worked with a previous battery company exec. He said batteries for new vehicles, along with after-matket batteries for the south and for the north are very different. And there were at the time, only 2 battery companies. Interstate is one. All the rest are the other company.
My 09 Laramie lasted exactly 9 years also. However, after my alternator failed, I was given some wise advise from an expert at re-building alternators. He said to get a new battery after 5 years no matter what. He said it strains the alternator.
Oh and by the way...We all have a voltage gage. I have been a car guy for 50 years and did not notice my voltage gage down until the battery light came on when the alternator failed! Duh!
Interstate doesn't make their own batteries. Battery companies switch manufacturers every so often, Johnson Controls and one other company make most of the batteries.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Someone mentioned spend the $$ on AGM technology. If I replace the wet cell with an AGM, does the charging system know how to charge the different battery? They do have different charging methods.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My OEM battery on my 2017 Ram 1500 5.7 Crew Cab lasted a year and a half. Because the car was over 36K miles, they would not cover it at the dealer. WTF....I bought a cheapo no-name brand from Batteries Unlimited right around the corner of my house for about $80. The guy said it only had a 6 month warranty, but it has lasted nearly 2 years.....

·
Registered
222 Posts
Someone mentioned spend the $$ on AGM technology. If I replace the wet cell with an AGM, does the charging system know how to charge the different battery? They do have different charging methods.
Not sure how you can tell short of asking OEM (FCA) and hoping to get a competent answer. I usually get some receptionist that doesn't know an amp from a volt and I get nowhere. So I rolled the dice and so far have been ok.
From what I've read, the risk is in frying the AGM - they are more efficient than wet cell, and charging too fast like a wet cell will cook them and they will fail. Worst case is they might catch fire.

The advice I researched says make sure you charge them fully with an AGM battery charger before you install them in the vehicle. If the vehicle is a daily driver, the battery likely will never draw high wet cell amps if the vehicle charger is stupid and doesn't know it has an AGM battery. Hope this helps.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts