DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. Before anybody slams me for not searching the forum for info, trying to find information on the stock HORN when one of the truck models is BIGHORN is pretty much fruitless.

I'm trying to determine how much current the individual horns draw. Not the fuse size in the fuse box (I know that). Not how it's connected to the controls (I've seen the diagrams). I need to know how many amps the individual horn is rated at.

I want to add aftermarket horns, without a new horn switch, with an additional relay, and without drawing more current than the OEM control circuit is rated for.

If I know what the OEM horns are rated at, I can limit my after market search to horns that draw no more than that, and make for a simple modification. (plug them in and go....or blow...as it were).

I have a '16 Rebel, and I'm pretty sure the OEM part number is 68229241AA. Just not finding amperage rating on this....anywhere.

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
Well the obvious answer is install a totally standalone circuit that has a rely that is triggered by the stock setup. That way you can run whatever you want and still have the stock horn for the alarm and other integrated fuctions but when you actually use the horn the aftermarket ones will also activate.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the obvious answer is install a totally standalone circuit that has a rely that is triggered by the stock setup. That way you can run whatever you want and still have the stock horn for the alarm and other integrated fuctions but when you actually use the horn the aftermarket ones will also activate.
I don't want to add any additional hardware (control relays, in-line fuses, etc..). Just want to plug horn in to replace stock horns and have all integrated horn functions operate the new horns.

If I'm going to add a separately controlled horn and leave the stocks alone, I'd go all out and put a high-quality compressor and air-horn set up, that play's "Dixie". It is a REBEL after all.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
I would go for a roadrunner style "meep-meep" horn

·
Registered
323 Posts
I can't answer your question exactly, but I installed Hella Supertones without anything additional and they have been fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts