DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. Before anybody slams me for not searching the forum for info, trying to find information on the stock HORN when one of the truck models is BIGHORN is pretty much fruitless.

I'm trying to determine how much current the individual horns draw. Not the fuse size in the fuse box (I know that). Not how it's connected to the controls (I've seen the diagrams). I need to know how many amps the individual horn is rated at.

I want to add aftermarket horns, without a new horn switch, with an additional relay, and without drawing more current than the OEM control circuit is rated for.

If I know what the OEM horns are rated at, I can limit my after market search to horns that draw no more than that, and make for a simple modification. (plug them in and go....or blow...as it were).

I have a '16 Rebel, and I'm pretty sure the OEM part number is 68229241AA. Just not finding amperage rating on this....anywhere.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Is this documented anywhere? I'm trying to avoid adding relays. I want to plug horns in directly to factory wires.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know this is two years old but I gave it a look through the forums and didn't see anything either so this info might be useful in the future. Factory horns use 9 amps total. 4.5 amps for each tone. They are Fiamm AM80S(X) with a connector designed for the truck. Pretty much all Euro makes use them. Whatever you choose, or chose at this point, you'll want a margin in the circuit so try to limit it to 10 amp max load total. Not much room there, especially for something that kicks out more than the 110db stock horns, but that's all there is. Hope this helped!

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I have run Stebel compact air horns on most everything for the last 13+ years. I use a relay wired to the OEM power wire to activate the relay.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts