DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new here so bear with me :wavey:

I just got my dream truck (2014 Ram 1500 ecodiesel, crewcab limited) just 15 days ago and I (can't have nice things) have managed to back it into a post today. I dented my rear chrome bumper pretty heartily. I will take it to a body shop for professional insight, but in the meantime, I have found plenty of aftermarket bumper assembly options on Ebay and even amazon along with plenty of youtube videos assuring me that to change it out myself (with a handy friend's help, maybe) would be completely doable.

My question is - are there any major issues with aftermarket replacement bumpers or self-installing that I'm overlooking? Or maybe, certain manufacturers I should stick to or avoid?

Thanks! I just want her to be perfect again :facepalm:

·
Registered
60 Posts
In my experience OEM body parts are the way to go. If you want to go the aftermarket route then I would say talk to a local body shop or two and they will generally have an idea of what aftermarket companies to stick with

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any specifics about your experience with aftermarket v. OEM? Cheaply made/poor fit/ prone to failure?

I will definitely ask at the local body shop when I'm there this week.

Thanks!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I had a 2nd gen Durango that I had to replace the front bumper on and I used an aftermarket part. The part took a lot of massaging to get it to fit right and it ended up rusting much quicker than the OEM one ever did. When I got it replaced for the second time I talked to a local bodyshop and they knew which aftermarket companies made quality parts for that particular vehicle while still being more cost effective than an OEM part.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts