DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received my KC off road lights and after an initial overview, it looks like the lights are too tall for my bull bar unless I remove the "cup" just below the light and above the rubber washers. If I remove the cup I am afraid they won't stay in position after I adjust them though. Plus the rubber washers are flat and my bull bar is round. Has anyone rigged something like this before? Unfortunately my bull bar isn't big enough to accommodate the full mounting system. I figured the lights would come with some hardware for mounting to a bar but it looks like these are designed for mounting to flat surfaces.

I have a Steelcraft bull bar and KC HiLites 233 Daylighter 6-inch off road lights.

Also how are you supposed to get the washer for the inside of the bar inside the bar? It is about 3 times larger than the hole on the bottom of the bull bar. I was thinking about pushing it all the way up and through the bull bar with a coat hanger. I really don't want to return the lights since that would be a PITA but if there is no way to make them work I suppose I will have to.

First shot shows the full mounting system, second shows what I have to do for it to not be too tall to fit between the bars.

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
Are you saying that the lights don't fit between the bull bar rungs, or that the bolt isn't long enough to properly fasten through the existing bull bar without taking off the cup? That cup is essential for keeping the assembly properly aligned.

If the light assemblies are too tall as a whole, you'll want to rig some additional steel to your bull bar to extend the mounting position slightly. Then bolt per original requirements.

If the bolts are not long enough, just swap them out for standard carriage bolts of sufficient length. You'll want to have them either galvanized or zinc coated. You'll have to disassemble the light slightly to get to the innards and swap out the bolts if you go that route.

I've done the bolt extension on off road lights for a previous light bar I had as I didn't have any other way to mount the lights to my 3" round push bar. I couldn't go the additional steel route due to the mounting locations.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok it sounds like I have both problems then. I didnt realize the bolt was supposed to go entirely through the 3" bar. So the bolt isnt long enough and the lighrs are too big. Sounds like a return to me.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The bolt doesn't have to go all the way through the bar, but some bars are not designed to get to the interior areas for proper tightening of the nuts, etc... I had one that was welded shut and I couldn't access the interior at all.

If you can get to the inside and properly fasten it, then you don't need to worry about a return. Just relocate the mounting location slightly with some flat stock and they should work fine.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah the interior of my bull bar isnt accessible. After some more thinking I am going to try relocating the light mount a couple inches forward so i can clear the upper bar with the lights. Should I just go to a hardware store to look for something that might work for the relocation bracket?

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
Is there a 4X4 or Off Road store fairly close to you ?

Most of them have adapters for lights, mirrors, & other things, both for flat or round stock metal

·
Registered
77 Posts
You may try a local scrap yard or steel shop to get some flat stock to make the extensions from. I would recommend a minimum 1/8" thickness to bolt to the bull bar and create your extensions. Finish the rough steel to match the bull bar so it doesn't look off.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright I got the lights mounted and wired and when I turn them on, one of them doesn't work. One does, one doesn't. I tried to find a troubleshooting guide online but no luck. I grounded both lights the same, on the mounting bolt. I don't know what would cause one to not work other than a bad ground.

·
Registered
571 Posts
any easy way to eliminate the ground issue is to ground both lights to the same grounding point. preferably to the same ground that the working light is grounded to. then trace wiring to make sure all connections are good

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It was a bad ground. The grounds are VERY touchy in this kit. This is pretty much the first electrical work I have ever done, so maybe all grounds are that touchy but I had to try a few different positions before the ground worked. Hopefully it continues to work. :158:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here are some pics of the mounting system I came up with. I found some scrap metal laying around that I cut into two brackets to mount the lights a couple inches forward. They are pretty solid. I don't think I will have issues with anything moving. I still need to paint the brackets black but I wanted to mount things up today to make sure it would work. I angled them slightly out to put the lights a little farther from each other.

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah I was really happy to find that metal laying around. My dad practically has a junkyard at his house so I found multiple pieces that would have worked but this particular piece already had holes drilled in it that were the perfect size and distance apart. I just had to cut the metal. It even has a lip on each side which should make it stronger.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.