DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new '12 Ram Big Horn will see some off road duty and I want to install some KC offroad lights and tow hooks on the front.

Can the factory tow hooks be retrofitted to the models without like mine?

As far as lighting, dont want to make any permanent changes to the truck as its a lease for now. The lights on the truck are actually pretty good as is compared to previous vehicles I have owned, but I do some beach driving and the gajillion candlepower KCs really makea HUGE difference at night on the beach.

Any suggestions? Pictures would be great if you have them.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I just recently installed the factory tow hooks on my CC and it wasn't that hard at all. You can buy them from any dealer as a kit and it comes with everything needed to install them. Hardest part was cutting the hole for them to go through.:smileup:

·
Registered
354 Posts
Tow hooks a a bolt on for steel bumpered trucks. You will have to modify a rubber bumper truck to install them but it can be done. Search the site, there was a thread where someone did this.

·
Registered
354 Posts
tow hook filler panel

Almost forgot, you will also need the tow hook filler panel that goes mid-bumper and has the cutouts for the hooks to go thru. This is steel bumper only, there is none for the rubber bumper. Its a cheap part, only about 12 bucks. Or you will have to cut the filler panel you already have. May be easier to replace it with the correct part than to try and cut the plastic.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure what bumper I have....? Metal I assume...On the '12 models the hooks seem to come out where the black piece is on my bumper....looks like that would just pop out?

·
Registered
354 Posts
bumper filler

Yup, the tow hooks come out the wide ends of the black filler panel in your bumper. As I said you can buy a filler panel with the proper cutouts for about 12 bucks at moparonlineparts, search parts for 2011 (tow hooks) since they don't have 2012 in there yet. Its the same part. Or you can pay a bit more and order it at your dealer. It snaps out. Alternately, you can cut out part of the filler on each side and achieve the same result, just not quite as neat.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have the rubber bumper and i just popped the hole section out cut the holes needed and put it back in. Looks good to me.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yup, the tow hooks come out the wide ends of the black filler panel in your bumper. As I said you can buy a filler panel with the proper cutouts for about 12 bucks at moparonlineparts, search parts for 2011 (tow hooks) since they don't have 2012 in there yet. Its the same part. Or you can pay a bit more and order it at your dealer. It snaps out. Alternately, you can cut out part of the filler on each side and achieve the same result, just not quite as neat.
Cool.... Thanks!

·
Registered
35,470 Posts
Keep us updated on how you make out.....If you get a chance post some pics once installed....Great looking truck by the way......

1 - 9 of 9 Posts