DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best off-roading shocks for a Dodge Ram? I just bought a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT and have decided to modify it for off-roading. I have decided to buy a set of mud tires, rims and fender flares. And now, I am currently looking at shock absorbers. What brand can you recommend?

·
Registered
148 Posts
I Have the Kings OE Performance kit, they're basically 2.5 front Coilovers with remote reservoirs and 2.5 rear shocks with piggyback reservoirs. My opinion after owning other performance brands in the past Kings are the best money can buy. But, you can't really go wrong with any of them. In the same class you have Fox 2.5 performance kit,
Radflo 2.5, and even though you get less performance still the same class, you have the Icon 2.5 kit. I say you get less perfromance with them because Icon doesn’t give you a front reservoir for their front coilovers in the RAM 1500 application even if you asked for it.
Because of it i'll consider them the last choice, at least when it comes to this particular application. I had the Icon stage 5 in my Tacoma and i loved them. I had Radflo in my FJ and i love them, i have Kings in the RAM and i can't get the grin out of my face :), I've had Fox before but only the 2.0's in my Jeep Wrangler.

Kits from King,Fox and Radflo dont include rear springs or UCA's
I'm running the Icon 1.5 springs:

And Zone UCA's

But you can choose from Icon 1.5" coils springs, or Eibach 1" springs, or Bistein 1" coil springs or Carli 1/2" coil springs.
and your choice of UCA's from Icon,JBA,Total Chaos,ReadyLift,Zone etc etc.

From all 4 options Icon have the most complete kit as they offer their UCA's and rear springs all together, again they won't give a front remote reservoir in any of their kits.

Carli also have a super complete kit with Kings

Thuren also have Kings only

Or you can buy from a tuner shop for example
You can see the King 2.5 CO's/shocks and the Fox 2.5 CO's/shocks here

Of from the manufacturer
Radflo 2.5 CO's/shocks

Also from the manufacturer
and Icon 2.5 CO's/shocks

Plus couple of action pics:

Untitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

Have fun bro and good luck with whatever you choose.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
I Have the Kings OE Performance kit, they're basically 2.5 front Coilovers with remote reservoirs and 2.5 rear shocks with piggyback reservoirs. My opinion after owning other performance brands in the past Kings are the best money can buy. But, you can't really go wrong with any of them. In the same class you have Fox 2.5 performance kit,
Radflo 2.5, and even though you get less performance still the same class, you have the Icon 2.5 kit. I say you get less perfromance with them because Icon doesn’t give you a front reservoir for their front coilovers in the RAM 1500 application even if you asked for it.
Because of it i'll consider them the last choice, at least when it comes to this particular application. I had the Icon stage 5 in my Tacoma and i loved them. I had Radflo in my FJ and i love them, i have Kings in the RAM and i can't get the grin out of my face :), I've had Fox before but only the 2.0's in my Jeep Wrangler.

Kits from King,Fox and Radflo doesn't inlcuded rear springs or UCA's
I'm running the Icon 1.5 springs:

And Zone UCA's

But you choose from Icon 1.5" coils springs, or Eibach 1" springs, or Bistein 1" coil springs or Carli 1/2" coil springs.
and your choice of UCA's from Icon,JBA,Total Chaos,ReadyLift,Zone etc etc.

From all 4 options Icon have the most complete kit as they offer their UCA's and rear springs all together, again they won't give a front remove reservoir in any of their kits.

You can see the King 2.5 CO's/shocks and the Fox 2.5 CO's/shocks here

Radflo 2.5 CO's/shocks

and Icon 2.5 CO's/shocks

Plus couple of action pics:

Have fun bro and good luck with whatever you choose.
That’s a lot of good info

1 - 3 of 3 Posts