DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Big Horn
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2019 ram 1500 classic with a 5.7 l hemi engine. I've been searching for the holy Grail and regards to oil and filter and I think I found the perfect combination. I have chosen to use wolf's head full synthetic oil with a wix filter. Seems like the ticking on the cold start has gone away. Any experience with this oil and filter combination out there?

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Can't speak for your combo, but I run Penzoil Platinum with a NAPA Gold 7899 filter. The filter is bigger then stock. I also put a oil filter relocation kit on my truck so it is easier to change.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Wix is a quality filter, and they make filters for other and brand them for them. NAPA, Oriley are the 2 I can think of rite away. Wolf Head has been around since like the early 1900's. I know some fellows I use to race with have run it for years and not had an problems due to oiling. Best oil is clean oil. If it works for you rock on.

·
Registered
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Big Horn
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm surprised wolf head oil is not more popular given its history and that it's made here in the United States in Tampa.

·
Super Moderator
34,560 Posts
I've never heard of Wolf's Head.

I am using a Fram Ultra Synthetic filter with Valvoline synthetic high mileage 5W-20

·
Registered
574 Posts
I haven't heard the "Hemi tick" with my new truck after almost 5 months of ownership. I've changed the oil once (at 1000 miles), and at that time went with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum oil and a NAPA gold filter. Going to have to look into Wolf's Head oil since I've never heard of it. Which probably means it'll be hard to find and expensive if/when I do.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'd recommend letting the dealership do you oil change services just so you have proper documentation in case something happens. I had my 2014 1500 5.7 engine replaced under extended warranty and the 1st thing they wanted was my service records which my dealer had them all on file.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can't speak for your combo, but I run Penzoil Platinum with a NAPA Gold 7899 filter. The filter is bigger then stock. I also put a oil filter relocation kit on my truck so it is easier to change.
t
The relocation kits come with different size threads. Do you know the size for the Ram ? Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'd recommend letting the dealership do you oil change services just so you have proper documentation in case something happens. I had my 2014 1500 5.7 engine replaced under extended warranty and the 1st thing they wanted was my service records which my dealer had them all on file.
In court, you only have to show the date and mileage your oil was chaned by you or anyone. Does not have to be a dealer.
And you dont have to use synthetics or Royal Purple or any of those high mileage oils. Just change your oil every 3000 miles using oil that meets the normal standaeds and use a Purcolator oil filter. You will save hundreds of dollars in unecessay costs. Stay away from dealers they take you over the coals. From someone who knows!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wolfs head is a quality oil but any fram filter is no better than running your oil through a old sock, wix and napa are two of the best filters on the market.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I own a 2019 ram 1500 classic with a 5.7 l hemi engine. I've been searching for the holy Grail and regards to oil and filter and I think I found the perfect combination. I have chosen to use wolf's head full synthetic oil with a wix filter. Seems like the ticking on the cold start has gone away. Any experience with this oil and filter combination out there?
Wolf,s head has been around for a long time. I run Castrol full syn with the Wix filters in my 13 and my race cars, never a problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Can you tell me what relocation kit you used? Has it helped? I hate where they paced the filter

·
Registered
1 Posts
WalMart SuperTech 5W20 and the cheapest Delco or Fram filter they have on their shelf. I used to over-analyze little stuff too, but over the years have realized to not sweat the petty stuff and don't pet the sweaty stuff. If it meets API standards, run it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Oil and filters make a huge difference in engine life. With cheap oil and filters you get what you pay for.

·
Happy Ram - No more GM
2017 Silverado 1500 QC 4x4.
989 Posts
I ran a Fram Ultra & Amsoil SS 5W20 on my 17 Ram Hemi. It was quite happy on Amsoil.

·
Super Moderator
34,560 Posts
Wolfs head is a quality oil but any fram filter is no better than running your oil through a old sock, wix and napa are two of the best filters on the market.
Its 2020 now, not 2002, they aren't making the orange can of death anymore. The Ultra Synthetic Frams are some of the best on the market.

·
Registered
420 Posts
The super tech oil filters were rated pretty well on Bobs the oil guy. Fram-uhh not so much. We had a tech bulletin when I was @ a dodge dealer on not using fram filters on the cummins because they degrade and fall apart. I would use a more expensive filter and less expensive oil because the filter is the cleaner in the deal. If you look up the MSDS on the super tech oil depending on lot number it could be Shell or Mobil 1 or just about any major manufacture.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts