DODGE RAM FORUM banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Happy Ram - No more GM
2017 Silverado 1500 QC 4x4.
989 Posts
The super tech oil filters were rated pretty well on Bobs the oil guy. Fram-uhh not so much. We had a tech bulletin when I was @ a dodge dealer on not using fram filters on the cummins because they degrade and fall apart. I would use a more expensive filter and less expensive oil because the filter is the cleaner in the deal. If you look up the MSDS on the super tech oil depending on lot number it could be Shell or Mobil 1 or just about any major manufacture.
The Fram premium filters are one of the best on the market - many posts on bitog will back this up. I had excellent UOA with Fram Ultra Filters. Cummins wants their Fleetguard filters run on Cummins engines, pretty sure the Cummins Mopar filters are Fleetguards.

·
Registered
8 Posts
In court, you only have to show the date and mileage your oil was chaned by you or anyone. Does not have to be a dealer.
And you dont have to use synthetics or Royal Purple or any of those high mileage oils. Just change your oil every 3000 miles using oil that meets the normal standaeds and use a Purcolator oil filter. You will save hundreds of dollars in unecessay costs. Stay away from dealers they take you over the coals. From someone who knows!
Manual says 10,000 miles. I have the dealer change it, they can throw a new engine in at the same time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Can't speak for your combo, but I run Penzoil Platinum with a NAPA Gold 7899 filter. The filter is bigger then stock. I also put a oil filter relocation kit on my truck so it is easier to change.
I use my dealer where I purchased my Bighorn 4X4. They use recommended full synthetic oil and filter for under $75.00. But that's just me!!! 20200306_153849.jpg

·
Registered
93 Posts
Does adding a larger oil filter and relocation kit impact oil pressure and computer sensors? Do you have to be more cautious to look for leaks with the relocation kit?

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
t
The relocation kits come with different size threads. Do you know the size for the Ram ? Thanks
Can you tell me what relocation kit you used? Has it helped? I hate where they paced the filter
Does adding a larger oil filter and relocation kit impact oil pressure and computer sensors? Do you have to be more cautious to look for leaks with the relocation kit?
Here are some of the threads on this site about relocating the oil filter. The larger oil filter I do not think does anything to the oil pressure by itself, but I did notice a loss of oil pressure after adding the relocation kit. The oil pressure dropped about 5-10 PSI over all. I went from around 50 to around 40 at idle. All you have to do is make sure it is not leaking after installing it and you should have no problems. It is always a good idea to check for leaks every time you change your oil.

These threads should answer all your questions.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I look for coupons from my dealer. Had my oil changed and tires rotated yesterday for $59.95 plus tax. Oil was Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I own a 2019 ram 1500 classic with a 5.7 l hemi engine. I've been searching for the holy Grail and regards to oil and filter and I think I found the perfect combination. I have chosen to use wolf's head full synthetic oil with a wix filter. Seems like the ticking on the cold start has gone away. Any experience with this oil and filter combination out there?
Get the best oil out there, Amsoil. Then add this stuff?: Amazon.com: BestLine Premium Synthetic Engine Treatment: Automotive

This stuff works:

Amsoil wins against all other oils tested:

Amsoil is expensive, but your truck is worth it, especially if that tick turns into the worn out cam lobes that can happen to the Hemis and it's outside of the 5 year 100K warranty. I have a 2017 Ram 1500 and I bought the Lifetime Max Care with $100 deductible with it while they still had it, but it's no longer available. Since yours is a 2019, and if you drive a lot of miles, you can actually get the 7 Year Unlimited Mileage warranty through Mopar Warranties. It's the next best thing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm surprised wolf head oil is not more popular given its history and that it's made here in the United States in Tampa.
Did not realize that there were oil refineries in Tampa. The good news about the price of a barrel of oil plummeting is that it will end fracking and putting carinogenic chemicals into the drinking water.

·
Registered
21 Posts
At least for diesel engines Amsoil is one of the worst motor oils one can use. High mileage oil is formulated for engines with high mileage already and not for low mileage engines.
What is not appreciated is that what caused high levels of engine wear in the past was leaded gasoline. General Motors engineers knew it was a problem but they also owned the patent and stood to make a great deal of money with the introduction of tetraethyl lead. It produced high level of brain damage from auto and truck exhaust but who really cares about poor people living in the cities and along the highways?
I have a neighbor and a brother who each have Toyota trucks with more than 300,000 miles on the engines and none of them burn oil between oil changes. Unleaded gasoline and better engine materials and better motor oils have made the difference.
Amsoil and other companies want people to believe that paying two to three times as much for their magical oil is going to make a difference. It does with diesel engines where Amsoil motor oil will definitely reduce engine life but not for gas engines.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Did not realize that there were oil refineries in Tampa. The good news about the price of a barrel of oil plummeting is that it will end fracking and putting carinogenic chemicals into the drinking water.
Your comment is based on outdated and biased information. According to a Washington Examiner article, a 2018 peer-reviewed study concluded that fracking is not a major threat to groundwater. Even the EPA concluded in 2016, after a six year study, that hydraulic fracturing operations are unlikely to generate sufficient pressure to drive fluids into shallow drinking water zones, due to the fact that the process typically occurs a mile or more below the surface. There is simply no credible scientific evidence to support the claim that fracking contaminates drinking water. Fracking is helping the USA to be energy independent. Or would you rather believe your conspiracy theory and bad science and depend on OPEC?

·
Premium Member
2013 RAM Laramie Crew Cab
3,398 Posts
Your comment is based on outdated and biased information. According to a Washington Examiner article, a 2018 peer-reviewed study concluded that fracking is not a major threat to groundwater. Even the EPA concluded in 2016, after a six year study, that hydraulic fracturing operations are unlikely to generate sufficient pressure to drive fluids into shallow drinking water zones, due to the fact that the process typically occurs a mile or more below the surface. There is simply no credible scientific evidence to support the claim that fracking contaminates drinking water. Fracking is helping the USA to be energy independent. Or would you rather believe your conspiracy theory and bad science and depend on OPEC?
The cheap 87 grade gas dropped to $1.74 here. Hasn't been that cheap since early 2000s. Fracking is a good thing when properly done.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I own a 2019 ram 1500 classic with a 5.7 l hemi engine. I've been searching for the holy Grail and regards to oil and filter and I think I found the perfect combination. I have chosen to use wolf's head full synthetic oil with a wix filter. Seems like the ticking on the cold start has gone away. Any experience with this oil and filter combination out there?
I don't know about the oil, use Valvoline products but I exclusively use Wix Filters. They do a great job! I have a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500, 72,000 original miles and the 4.7L engine seems to love the combo. No smoking or fouled plugs. I am sure the Wolf's Head oil is just fine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
In court, you only have to show the date and mileage your oil was chaned by you or anyone. Does not have to be a dealer.
And you dont have to use synthetics or Royal Purple or any of those high mileage oils. Just change your oil every 3000 miles using oil that meets the normal standaeds and use a Purcolator oil filter. You will save hundreds of dollars in unecessay costs. Stay away from dealers they take you over the coals. From someone who knows!
wow,who changes their oil every 3000 miles? If you want to waste oil and money than yeah go with that,even conventional oil is good for at least 5K or more and semi or full synth is good for 7.5K,pretty sure mopar recommends 7.5K interval for regular service,changing every 3K is laughable and really doesnt give the oil a chance to do its job(removing contaminants from the engine as well as lubrication)but its your money,waste it as you see fit.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Any more there is no actual "mileage" change time. Everything pretty much goes of the computerized reminder in dash.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have a 2013 Ram sport, quad, 4x4, 5.7, with 85k miles. I use Amsoil 5w-20. I have used Amsoil in all my vehicles for over 20 years, including my wife's 2010 Lincoln MKX with 108k miles, 2006 bike, and Generac even uses it in the back-up generator. Since I have a lifetime warranty on the Ram I take it to the dealer about every 7k miles and use their Mopar filter. I've never had an engine problem with any vehicle, but don't recommend Fram filters.

·
Registered
377 Posts
2014 Sport at ~56000miles using Fram Ultra Synthetic Filter and Castrol Advanced Edge Full Synthetic Oil and running great.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I take mine to the dealer where I bought it, two reasons one is that I'm getting too old to crawl under the truck and the other with the discount I get from the dealer for oil changes and free inspection, topping off washer fluid, coolant if needed, tires rotated for $37. That includes Mopar semi synthetic oil and filter..

21 - 40 of 44 Posts