DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - is it really necessary to change the oil on my 5.7 hemi every 5000 miles. When I drop it out it looks like new oil !!!!

Also can you please recommend the right grade oil to use and whether syndthetic or semi for the hemi

Thanks

Paul

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
When it comes out looking clean, that's a good thing, but it could still be lacking in lubrication capability. With standard oils, 5K miles is at the outer edge of when it should be changed. You can get more mileage with high quality synthetics like Amsoil (to name one), but they do cost more, and you should at least change the filter at the 5K mark anyway.

There are lots of debates on this subject, but most that have gone full synthetic never switch back. :4-dontknow: I use standard oil and change mine more often.....but I also never keep a vehicle for more than 4 years, so I'm a very bad example. :)

·
Registered
15,700 Posts
i have been using penzoil ultra 5-20 and KN filter, change every 6000 miles or six months. still looks new at oil change. so far no hemi tick. all other fluids will be changed as recomended in service manual. 5-20 oil is required for the mds in the hemi.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Hi - is it really necessary to change the oil on my 5.7 hemi every 5000 miles. When I drop it out it looks like new oil !!!!

Also can you please recommend the right grade oil to use and whether syndthetic or semi for the hemi
The answer to your question is not a simple yes or no. There are several variables so as mentioned do a search on oil in the forums and you should find more information than you probably wanted.

But to give you the basic answer, yes you could go over 5,000 I go 15,000 miles (approx. 6 mos.). To do that however I use and extended drain synthetic oil (Amsoil Signature Series) with a bypass filter system which takes out much smaller particles than the standard filter. I also change my standard filter at three months. I do this because I am on the road a lot so it's not convenient for me to change the oil frequently and I don't want to have it serviced by just anyone while I'm on the road. I've done this with several vehicles and my oil has never had a problem; but this isn't for everyone. Just ask and you will get as many answers as you would like to have.

So do the search and see how the variables effect you and then make your decision. If you have any specific technical questions on oil feel free to PM me. I've sort of made a hobby of it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.