DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was looking at the manual today to see the type of oil i needed to pt in the truck when i noticed it says to change every 13,000 kms? this is more than double the usual 5000kms i would have done in my Ford. is the oil a synthetic? any input would be great as i am going on a road trip and i wanted to have fresh oil in it before i leave!

·
Registered
148 Posts
I am thinking the same thing... that's a long time between changes. I am going to swap to synthetic, just have to make sure it has the MS-6395 rating (Mobil 1 for extended mileage vehicles). That and a Wix filter after 5000 kms. I ran Castrol Syntec in my 97 Dakota without the rating with no issues...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Oil is the cheapest thing you can put in your engine, I have thought of going to the sycthetic oil, actually did so on a 2011 Jeep I traded in.
I am not a Penzoil man myself but with the deal buy one get the next 3 free I am now. I will be chaning my oil every 3,000 miles or so. The cleaned you keep the engine the longer they last change oil often and a new filter every time, works for me.:smiley_thumbs_up:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Your wasting good oil changing it every 3,000 miles.It will last at least twice that long.
Likely true... especially when it hold 7 litres. When I replaced my timing chain on the Dakota at 160,000 kms the engine was spotless. That was a 3.9l V-6 changed at 5000 kms faithfully.
But 13,000 kms! I think I'll split the difference...:smiley_thumbs_up:

·
Registered
17,710 Posts
Yeah, the 5,000km is the 'dealer recommended' interval... because they can charge you for it, plus try to find other things that 'should be looked at' while it's there. I dno't want to call them stealerships, because not all are that way and the 3000mile oil change is a hold-over from the '70s era when you had fuel blow-by in your oil and if you didn't swap it out then you'd kill your engine in a hurry. A quality synthetic can easily last you for 15-20,000kms and still be in good shape. If you went as far as doing regular oil analysis, then you could push that even further knowing you're still protected. Dealerships may argue the oil analysis results, so it's best to stick with the manual recommended intervals.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i am confused, i am assuming that the oil they are going to put in at the dealer is just conventional oil, not synthetic? most of you guys are talking about using synthetic... which should last areound the 13000 km mark. i was most concerned about using the mopar oil for that long of time.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, the 5,000km is the 'dealer recommended' interval... because they can charge you for it, plus try to find other things that 'should be looked at' while it's there. I dno't want to call them stealerships, because not all are that way and the 3000mile oil change is a hold-over from the '70s era when you had fuel blow-by in your oil and if you didn't swap it out then you'd kill your engine in a hurry. A quality synthetic can easily last you for 15-20,000kms and still be in good shape. If you went as far as doing regular oil analysis, then you could push that even further knowing you're still protected. Dealerships may argue the oil analysis results, so it's best to stick with the manual recommended intervals.
how could they argue with the analysis? the proof is there?

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
Your truck should be equipped with a "duty based" gizmo that will tell you when it needs to be changed. You'll get a message in the EVIC that says something to the effect of "oil change needed".

I myself am not real sure that this message is in fact duty based, as mine like clock work goes off EVERY 2500 miles, as did the one in the '08 I had (current truck is a '10 CC 1500 with HEMI). I change my oil myself every 5000 miles (usually use Mobil 1 oil and filter)

good luck

Exco

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
not so sure it actually is duty based, unless its function is to tell you to change it sooner dou to harsh driveing conditons... like towing a trailer.
well, i decided i would change the oil today, i went to walmart and the only synthetic oil they sold that met factory specs was the valvoline. we will see how well it stands for this cycle.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Did a little more research and this is the oil that Mobil 1 recommends for our Mopars.

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_1_Extended_Performance.aspx

There are a lot of good synthetics out there, and I believe they are worth the extra bucks. I did some research into filters a couple years ago and WIX was the best performer at the time, and surprisingly Fram was near the bottom... once again, at the time. I'll let the engine break in to 7-8000 kms with the factory oil, today's engines don't need the same break-in techniques as our older engines due to improvements in machining, pistons and rings... Then the synthetic goes in!

My Dakota, at 210,000 kms didn't leak a drop of oil and consistently (since new) used exactly one litre (US quart) every oil change interval, 5-6000 kms. The wifes R/T Avenger with the 3.5l has been running synthetic since 3000 kms and we change it every 5000 kms. I may extend its intervals... the oil is never dirty! I might track down a facility that can inspect the condition of the oil for both our newer vehicles just to find out exactly what we're getting for protection. I think that's cheap insurance considering I have a tendency to keep vehicles rather than flip them...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts