DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have a 08 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi quad cab and recently had the oil changed. The guy talked me into trying a valv synthetic blend for my truck. It only has 53,000 miles on it. Anyways I decided to try it out but today when I looked at the paperwork for the oil change it says they used 5w30 instead of 5w20 as my manual recommends. Should I take it back and get it redone with 5w20 or should I just wait until the next time to change it back. Also should I even be trying the synthetic stuff yet? And will it hurt to flip flop back and forth between the reg and synthetic? Thanks for any help.Not to good at things like this.:doh:

·
Registered
565 Posts
The Hemi has MDS which depends upon 5w20 to operate correctly. Take it back and make them do it right.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm. Just got off the phone with the guy and he said they have a paper that prints out and tells them exactly what kind of oil is required for the truck and if its 5w20 then thats what they used. He said sometimes the techs type in the wrong info on the receipt.

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
Synthetic oil can be switched when ever you want to do it, although i have not heard of anyone switching back again to the dinosaur oil, i don't believe it would do any harm

Every 1500 model Ram HEMI engine, beginning in 2006 has had MDS & the owners manuals read 5W-20 oil is to be used
the 2500 & up series did Not have MDS & the oil viscosity may be different

as a side note, i buy my Mobile One Synthetic 5W-20 in 5 quart jugs from Walmart & i purchase my preferred oil filter at a auto parts store. My oil is $10 cheaper then what a auto parts store sells the same stuff for

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Hey guys I have a 08 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi quad cab and recently had the oil changed. The guy talked me into trying a valv synthetic blend for my truck. It only has 53,000 miles on it. Anyways I decided to try it out but today when I looked at the paperwork for the oil change it says they used 5w30 instead of 5w20 as my manual recommends. Should I take it back and get it redone with 5w20 or should I just wait until the next time to change it back.
Yes take it back and have it changed; having the wrong weight oil could void your power train warranty. Unless you have a really good relationship they will likely refuse or claim it is just a mistake in the paperwork. If they do, threaten to take them to small claims court for the cost of having the oil changed elsewhere. It has been done before and is an open and shut case as any certified service center is required to know the OEM requirements.

Also should I even be trying the synthetic stuff yet? And will it hurt to flip flop back and forth between the reg and synthetic? Thanks for any help.Not to good at things like this.:doh:
Absolutely, synth is better; no it won't hurt to go back but why would you. Just have the correct weight of synth put in.

·
Registered
15,696 Posts
i would make them change it. if they don't, tell them your paper wok says they used the wrong oil, and when something goes wrong you have the paper work to prove it in court.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Most modern engines require a multiviscosity oil with a cold weight of 5 (the first #) in order for modern sofisticated valve trains to work properly when cold, including Rams. These engines require immediate oil flow, and thicker oils do not flow as easily when cold. However, once the oil is warmer, flow is not an issue as the oil thins out with increased temperature.
No problems switching back and forth from reg to synthetic at your mileage.
I wouldn't worry about it.
There's a lot of information available at Bobistheoilguy (not affiliated, employed by or otherwise related to the site).

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
Synthetic is fine at any mileage, don't believe the "myths" that say otherwise. There's also no issues with switching back and forth between synthetic and conventional. Also, no synthetic will not cause leaks.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Ive done this myself...with no issues.....it will not hurt the engine, or void your warranty,Ive run full syn. in my truck since the first oil change. Just use this as a lesson learned and I am sure you will pay closer attention next oil change.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Don't take it back there. Ever. Nothing beats doing it yourself. If you can't do it yourself, at least stay away from there.

On a sidenote: For years I used Valvoline Semi-syn and a Fram filter in my cars/trucks. Always had lifter tick. Went to Valv Semi-syn and a Napa Gold filter, still had tick. Threw out the common factor and went with Quaker State Synthetic and Mobil1 Synthetic, no tick yet on the the two vehicles I have bought since. Just my experience, thought I'd share.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts