DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently started a job where I get to drive the company vehicle back and forth to work so I'm not putting hardly any miles on my truck at all (maybe 50 miles a month, if that). So I'm curious what should I follow as far as oil changes go? I'm obviously not driving 3000 miles but I also wont pay for an oil change every 3 months when I didnt put any miles on it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Its a good idea to do it twice a year, drop some sta-bil in tank with fuel injector cleaner.

·
Banned
7,846 Posts
Most recommendations are 3000 miles or three months, whichever comes first.

However, that's taking into consideration that there are still some miles being put on the truck.

My concern would be dry start-ups at this point. I've had really good luck with Tuff-Oil and recommend it. Otherwise as ramfan said, take some precautionary measures and change it every six months.

But then again...I'm not an Engineer, but I did stay at a Quality Inn Express last night.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Warlock is right about dry start. Add some marvel merical oil to help top end stay lubed if you really let it sit. I say 6 months cause I use synthetic oil. (not as prone to condonsation, acidic break down)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I usually drive it every weekend, just not that much. I do go out and start it every few days though. It's really nice not putting more miles on it (it's a 1997 and only has 89000 miles on it) but then again I really miss my truck. :( Its even hard to justify putting any more money into mods or add ons too since I dont even drive it!

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Ya I know I put a ton of mile's on my01 ive put 13,000 on sence aug. I would rather drive it less and mod more.

·
Registered
65 Posts
i manage an oil change here in MI and my recomendation is a synthetic blend...quaker states is a 50/50 blend btw and valvoline is only 90/10. i would try and at least start the truck every few days and dont waste your money every 6 months. its recommended at least once a year or 3000 miles. and just to clarify..... running a full synthetic DOES NOT extend oil change intervals!!!!!! remember, the oil filter has not changed in technology in almost 30 years! i run QS syn blend and still change mine every 3000! run more miles at your own risk!!!

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
As far as change cycle for a daly use car or truck it's personal preferences. I do 5000 between changes.but I do close to 500 highway miles a week, use valvanen max life and frame filter. That's what got my safari past 300,000. And it's still out there somewhere cause it still ran great.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Two things. Stay away from the orange filters ( some of the worst quality in filter ratings) and you can make your synthetic last longer by changing the filter when you would ordinarily do your oil change. The oil is still good and the new filter will continue to keep it clean longer.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Ok here is my take:

I doubt your Ram is getting to proper operating temp very often. This can create a lot of condensation that doesn't get burned off. Among other problems it creates acid in the crankcase that helps break down components and shorten the life of the oil and the engine. As good an idea as starting a vehicle sounds unless you are going for extended periods without starting the truck, you may be doing more harm than good. If you are using your Ram on weekends that is fine. Starting during the week won't help lubrication and will create more condensation.

I would recommend a full synthetic oil since it resists breaking down and sludging better than dino oil. Your engine likely calls for 10w-30 oil and I would recommend you switch to 0w-30. You don't need it from a temperature basis but the oil is thinner at ambient temperature than a 10w oil will be so it will more easily flow at start up,. The oil will have the same protection at temperature as the 10w-30. I don't believe 0w-30 is available as a conventional oil.

I don't recommend blends of any kind since I don't see the purpose other than marketing; in other words they are cheaper than full synthetic but try to claim some the same benefits. What I see is they still have the downsides of conventional oil; mixing them with synthetic doesn't change that.

and just to clarify..... running a full synthetic DOES NOT extend oil change intervals!!!!!! remember, the oil filter has not changed in technology in almost 30 years! i run QS syn blend and still change mine every 3000! run more miles at your own risk!!!
I'll respectfully disagree here; synthetics certainly can extend oil drain intervals easily managing 25,000 miles for extended drain brands; the oil does not break down the way conventional oil does. I agree that oil filters are the weak link but 3000 mile oil changes are not necessary these days; even the service manual doesn't make that recommendation. Interim filter changes may be needed with extended drain oil though but not at 3,000 miles.

The truth is you are going to spend more per mile on oil maintenance than someone who drives their truck normally. A full synthetic will allow you to choose an oil that has superior flow at start up and will resist breakdown. Change the oil and filter every 6 months and you should be fine.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Two things. Stay away from the orange filters ( some of the worst quality in filter ratings) and you can make your synthetic last longer by changing the filter when you would ordinarily do your oil change. The oil is still good and the new filter will continue to keep it clean longer.
Still prefrance fram is all I have used withy synthetic, now some will disagree and all good but I run all my cars long and hard. Used to deliver pizzas never had an oil related problem yet. Now that I haven't done that for some time even less problem.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Ok here is my take:

I doubt your Ram is getting to proper operating temp very often. This can create a lot of condensation that doesn't get burned off. Among other problems it creates acid in the crankcase that helps break down components and shorten the life of the oil and the engine. As good an idea as starting a vehicle sounds unless you are going for extended periods without starting the truck, you may be doing more harm than good. If you are using your Ram on weekends that is fine. Starting during the week won't help lubrication and will create more condensation.

I would recommend a full synthetic oil since it resists breaking down and sludging better than dino oil. Your engine likely calls for 10w-30 oil and I would recommend you switch to 0w-30. You don't need it from a temperature basis but the oil is thinner at ambient temperature than a 10w oil will be so it will more easily flow at start up,. The oil will have the same protection at temperature as the 10w-30. I don't believe 0w-30 is available as a conventional oil.

I don't recommend blends of any kind since I don't see the purpose other than marketing; in other words they are cheaper than full synthetic but try to claim some the same benefits. What I see is they still have the downsides of conventional oil; mixing them with synthetic doesn't change that.

I'll respectfully disagree here; synthetics certainly can extend oil drain intervals easily managing 25,000 miles for extended drain brands; the oil does not break down the way conventional oil does. I agree that oil filters are the weak link but 3000 mile oil changes are not necessary these days; even the service manual doesn't make that recommendation. Interim filter changes may be needed with extended drain oil though but not at 3,000 miles.

The truth is you are going to spend more per mile on oil maintenance than someone who drives their truck normally. A full synthetic will allow you to choose an oil that has superior flow at start up and will resist breakdown. Change the oil and filter every 6 months and you should be fine.
this is the way i was explained about the oil change interval with synthetic oil... lets say you are pouring water into a cup, you can only pour so much water into that cup before it starts to overflow. now take that into consideration with the oil. if you start putting contaminants into the oil, the additives that are to catch that oil can only hold so much. so when all the additives are holding what they can handle, then what happens to the rest. i know most of you will say, oh the filter catches all the rest, well yes and no. the filter will catch the dirt and sludge, not the rest of it. that is the oils job. ive said it once and i will say it again, oil change intervals are by personal preference only.

also sir you do seem pretty knowledgeable when it comes to oil and keeping your ram on the road, i just try to open up peoples minds when it comes to oil changes. i myself will continue with my 3000 mile interval.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts