DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed the oil in my 1500 RAM today, it was the first time for doing this and I have a question. Any suggestions for removing the filter and keeping the oil that runs out from causing such a mess.

I have four wheel drive so the transfer case is right underneath the filter. So, I have to remove it from a slight angle. When the filter come loose the residual oil begins to run out and all over the place. I put a rag over the transfer case and some wires that are nearby to keep them clean but still it's quite a mess.

I was wondering if any of you have advice to remove that filter and keep the oil from going everywhere.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
This question is asked a lot. Most answers are plastic bag or plastic bottle cut off to fit. I used a plastic bag last time and still made somewhat of a mess so today I went and bought a bottle of orange juice that I cut off and will use tomorrow. I covered my electric power steering with a piece of plastic and it helped keep things cleaner.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DUH! I never thought of the plastic bag. I think I will give that a shot next time but The OJ carton might be a better way of doing it as well.

Thanks!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Remember the old funnels that had the metal "V" in it to punch a hole in the oil can? We need to design one for a oil filter ! Drain the oil out of the filter first before removing it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts