DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys and gals.....

I have a 2011 ram 1500 with the hemi, i bought my ram from the dealer with 6000kms on it, im now a little under 10000kms and is due for a oil change.I dont know if the oil in it presently is synthetic or not.

So here are my questions... if its not synthetic, can i put synthetic in? What oil do you use? Is royal purple a good oil?

Thanks in advance, Paul

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Yes you can put synthetic in your truck.Royal Purple is good oil.Make sure you use the 5w20 weight oil.I switched at 1000Km, I use Mobil 1 synthetic,it's another good oil and I find it easier to get as it is sold in many locations...:smileup::smileup:...Rob

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
Oil from the factory is conventional. You can put synthetic in no problem. Realistically any oil off the shelf from autozone or any place like that is fine. Royal purple is very good. Mobil is very good. Amsoil is very good (this is what I use). Like said above, use 5w20.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys for the help.... i have a few more questions. How many liters of oil does my ram take? should i be using a different weight of oil in the winter vs. the summer? i tow alot does that make a difference in the weight of oil to use? and is there a difference in oil filters>?

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Thanks guys for the help.... i have a few more questions. How many liters of oil does my ram take? should i be using a different weight of oil in the winter vs. the summer? i tow alot does that make a difference in the weight of oil to use? and is there a difference in oil filters>?
good question. my book says my truck takes 6 litres of oil. but i just brought my own oil to the dealer (Kendall GT-1 semi synthetic) and they only put in 5 litres. i have to check if it is full, but im thinking the extra litre might be used up in the filter?!?!

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
The 5.7l Hemi holds 6.6 liters of oil with a filter change.I use either a K&N filter,or the Mopar filter. I use the same weight oil year round,towing won't effect the weight of the oil used in the engine,but depending on how much towing you do ,you may want to change your oil at a shorter interval...:smileup::smileup:..Rob

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
Like they said^ don't change the weight, use 5w20 (or 0w20 would be fine too). But if towing a lot maybe change it more often. Some oil will be used up in the filter (1/2 to 1 qt) after the first start, so be sure to recheck it after started. Some oil filters ARE junk (like the cheaper frams). I use WIX filters (same as NAPA). Other good choices are mopar, mobil, etc...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts