DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
So I had my Dodge Ram 1500 2016 truck fully serviced by mopar for $479 and was given my next oil change free by them , so when the next oil change was due I took it in and after a few minutes they asked me to come back and look at a massive oil leak coming from oil filter housing adapter ? And this would need changing today at $1100 they said they would have to change the whole thing as there must be a crack in there as they are made of plastic and crack very easy ! My question is ... there was no oil leak 5000 miles ago on the service could they have over tightened the filter and cracked that and how can I prove that ... we had this done at the Dodge Ram dealership
I have never had any oil spill on my drive the last few months but when they shown me today the underneath of my truck was full of oil
Any advice greatly appreciated

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But they are saying they haven’t broke it that it’s a plastic part and the heat may have cracked it how can I prove this ?

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Contact FCA with this. They should be able to help you with the dealer. If this truly is a design flaw then they need to correct this.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
What engine do you have? If it is the 3.6 then the tech probable over torqued the oil filter cap and broke it, fired it up and then the oil went everywhere. Have a look at the oil spill, if totally clean it just happened. Their fault, their dime. Tell them they fix or your next visit will be with a lawyer. If it was broke before the service you would have oil stains in you parking spot from this so-called serious leak.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you so much for all your help I used these terms etc and now they have asked me to bring the truck in and the cost went from $1100 to zero 👍. He said they would call a favour in from Chrysler and they have had this problem before with this year model

thank you very very much 👌

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Definitely an over-torque by the tech. I've found the one on my Avenger way over-tightened shortly after I bought it, so much so I had to use a breaker bar to loosen it. Has not been done by anyone but myself since. Cleanest oil change that any DIY'er could want other than the Ecodiesel. It uses the same style system.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I love how the dealer makes it sound like they do customers a favor when they are really just doing what they SHOULD have done from the start and fix their own mistakes with no charge to the customer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is a common issue with the 3.6s and not caused by over torquing. Over time the oil filter housing ( made mostly of plastic) becomes brittle and cracks. It can leak a substantial amount of oil before a drip is noticed. Oil fills the deep cavity between the heads and slowly drips down to transmission. This happened to me around 96k, dealer wanted $1100 to fix, did it myself for $300 or so.

Poor design by FCA.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi
So I had my Dodge Ram 1500 2016 truck fully serviced by mopar for $479 and was given my next oil change free by them , so when the next oil change was due I took it in and after a few minutes they asked me to come back and look at a massive oil leak coming from oil filter housing adapter ? And this would need changing today at $1100 they said they would have to change the whole thing as there must be a crack in there as they are made of plastic and crack very easy ! My question is ... there was no oil leak 5000 miles ago on the service could they have over tightened the filter and cracked that and how can I prove that ... we had this done at the Dodge Ram dealership
I have never had any oil spill on my drive the last few months but when they shown me today the underneath of my truck was full of oil
Any advice greatly appreciated
I went through the same thing with my 2014. From DAY 1, the dealer did ALL my services, and UNFORTUNATELY for them, I picked up on Friday, and the leak started ( and soiled
my NEW DRIVEWAY ) the following day.
the dealer sucked it up and did the repairs.
MAKE THEM FIX IT.,!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've heard enough horror stories by friends about any of these oil change shops, including the dealerships and their cheap labor quick lube bays, to avoid them completely. I still do my own oil changes. Engines are too expensive to leave to a % of uncaring, inexperienced, and underpaid dudes that forget to fill, forget to tighten, over-tighten, overtighten, or just don't even do the service yet claim they did (this actually happened to me once). Plus you aren't really sure about what oil they used. It's unfortunate, but that's today's reality.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I am 71 and I still change my own fluids and filters and I also rotate my tires. That way I don't have to go thru what you did. If it gets screwed up, I know that I did it! No guessing games.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Like "oldgoat" I am 71 and still change all my own fluids and filters because of the things already listed. Both my son and daughter have had dealers once each change oil and used the incorrect oil and I had to change it. When I confronted the shop and asked what oil they used all I got was "I don't know whatever comes out of this nozzle". And be aware FCA has little or no control over the dealership shops as they are considered a separate profit center.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My dealership is a Rick Hendrick Chrysler Dodge. I have the Lifetime Bumper to Bumper Warranty. They started to play games after 13 years of service with them exclusively or their sister shop on the other side of town. They claimed to have fixed something that they obviously did not. I politely and respectfully confronted the service manager about the issue and he stood his ground and told me I was wrong . I showed him proof that I was right, and he simply would not admit the problem. He told me to take it to another established shop and that if he was wrong, he would pay for the repair. I declined that offer on the grounds that at that point they could claim anything they wanted to about the other shop which would have touched my car. Then they banned me from the dealership. Mind you, this after buying three new vehicles from them and always having them serviced there or at the sister shop. And not cheap cars either. I got in touch with the parent company, Hendrick Auto group and they were very responsive and helped big time. The dealership was forced to “Un-ban” me and after a little meeting between myself and two of their managers they decided to play ball. Fight for yourself and be prepared. I was prepared to shit down that dealership with the evidence of wrongdoing I had in file, but my warranty generally kept me happy enough to that. They finally, after two weeks had my car fixed and they did an excellent job.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts