DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Oil opinion shout-outs, please?

2K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  KelseytheDodgeGirl 
#1 ·
Okay guys.
Here's what I want to know. I know this is widely debated and has a lot to do with opinions and personal thoughts, BUT.
:thk:

What kind of motor oil do you use in your 4.7's (or any of your Dodges, really)?
Weight?
Brand?
Synthetic/Synthetic blend/Regular?
How often do you change your oil?
How do your trucks do with sludging?
AND Do you use any oil additives, ie, Marvel Mystery Oil, Seafoam motor treatment, etc...

There's so many options and I'm just getting really curious about this topic, I've done so much research...

#2 ·
Royal Purple 5W30 Synthetic
I change it every 7500 miles
I throw some Seafoam in the crank case before I change the oil and run it for about 100 miles on the freeway before I change the oil. My sludge is very minimal.
Seafoam in every 4th tank of gas.

#5 ·
TooPoorForHemi, do the 4.7's have roller cams? Not saying the zinc additive is hurting anything, but I've always been told its not necessary on newer engines since they don't use flat tappets.

I've always used Mobil 1 synthetic 5w-30 in all my gas trucks with a quality filter. Changed the oil every 5k miles.

#6 ·
5W30 High Mileage synthetic in the Ram, probably going to use the same stuff in the Charger since I disabled the MDS (calls for 5W-20, but basically the same engine minus the MDS). With the 4.7 you'll probably want a good synthetic and you'll want to take time to make sure it warms up properly to help burn off the condensation in the crankcase (try to minimize the short hops).

#7 ·
-2006 4.7 current mileage 138,000
-Summer / spring -- 5w30 mobile 1 full syn
-Winter / fall -- 0w20 mobile 1 full syn
-filter -- mopar or wix
-change interval 5,000 miles
-seafoam in oil 200 ish miles prior to oil change, once prior to winter and once in the summer.
-Sludge,, dont think I have any and better not with 2 treatments of seafoam per year.

#9 ·
I have two rams, an 03 1500 4x4 with 4.7. and an 01 1500 4x2 5.7. bought both trucks used.,
the 01 had a major engine problem a few months back, I changed oil every 5K on it after I bought it, when we tore engine out, the whole intake and valve train was thick with sludge, like 1/4" chucks.... I cannot believe how bad that motor was sludged up, to be honest I do not know what a clean motor would look like, but this thing was really bad. so now I run 1/2 can of seafoam in the oil on each truck a day or two before I change oil. a full can of seafoam in gas every 5-8 tanks. I put a homebrew catch can on both trucks, the 5.7 blows twices as much oil into catch can as the 4.7. so I think I need to use some heavier in the 01 5.7. It has lower miles then the 03 4.7, but it feels allot older. the junk motor in the 5.7 has only 87k miles....
I used the same 5w/30 Mobil1 full synthetic in both trucks, but now and rethinking to maybe a heavier oil....

#11 ·
2004 grand cherokee with 4.7. 180000 miles, runs like new. have been using M1 since 5-30. has been using a quart every 700 miles or so and i just passed emissions inspection and cannot find any visable leak. i will b switching to a 10 30 wt with a high mileage engine oil, either penzoil or valvoline.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.