DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! New here and hoping i can find better answers than good ole Google. 2016 Ram 1500 3.7 V6 started noticing that there was a oil leak and it seemed to be coming from the oil pan gasket. Replaced the gasket, but when I went to tighten the nuts that go on the two bolts that come out of the block it snapped off. Are those 2 bolts that extend out from the engine block put into the block or machined into them? If they are put into the block I was going to try and replace them if they are machined in I have no idea. Any help/suggestions would be awesome

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
First did you use a torque wrench and follow the manufacture specs?

Second was it a quality torque wrench and not one of those $9.99 on sale Harbor Freight junk torque wrenches.

Never never never cheap out on a torque wrench, always buy a quality torque wrench, if there is one place you do not want a tool to fail on you it is when torquing bolts.

I only use Snap On and CDI brands, Snap On owns CDI and CDI makes Snap On torque wrenches, the difference will be the ratchet head will be a Snap On head on a Snap On torque wrench and the ergonomics of the handle will be different with the Snap On being a little more comfortable.

The Snap On brand will be more expensive while the CDI will be more affordable for the do it yourself person who needs a quality torque wrench.

On to your problem, those should be studs but if they broke off flush with the block you will have to drill them and use a broken bolt extractor.

DRILLING THE STUD OUT
Drilling out a broken stud or bolt can be an intimidating task for some technicians, especially if the bolt is of a smaller diameter such as the case of an exhaust manifold bolt (8MM) and a cold reminder that there is only a few thousands of an inch of cast aluminum web separating the water jacket from the manifold bolt. The traditional method includes taking a punch and creating a divot (or center point) on the broken bolt surface, drilling a pilot hole freehand, hammering in an easy out extractor, then attempting to back the bolt out. Even the greenest technician can manage this task, however, it can come with a series of things that can go wrong or create a bigger mess than when you started.

The most common issue comes from using cheap materials and off the shelf drill bits which can lead to off-center drilling. Walking drill bits and extractors can break and lengthen the repair cycle and rob your productivity and profitability. Lastly, drilling free hand and off-center introduces a torque moment at the center of the bolt which increases the energy required to remove the broken remnant, often exceeding torque specs of the extractor.

THE PROS:
  • It’s a much more consistent & predictable repair
  • With the right tooling, it can be done by a technician with any level of experience
  • When space is limited, this can be the best option before pulling the entire engine head
THE CONS:
  • Without the proper tooling, you can turn a difficult job into an absolute nightmare
  • Using cheap drill bits and extractors will almost always lead to a botched job
EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
Low – basic drilling operation

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.