DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My oil pressure gauge keeps dropping all the way down and the light comes on but it doesn't seem to be effecting the truck at all. I Replaced the oil pressure sending unit and there wasn't any change. This happens very randomly and doesn't seem to be linked to accelerating/decelerating/idling etc. I bought the truck used and I'm realizing it wasn't taken very good care of. The previous owner tried to install a bunch of after market lights and crap all over the place so Im pretty thats what is causing the electrical issues i seem to keep having. I've had so many odd mystery issues with this truck at this point I feel like I just keep throwing parts at it and there's still something always wrong. Below is a list of what Im working with.

-Occasionally hearing a light ticking
-Something is squeaking. Replaced tensioner pulley. Still squeaky
-Dome lights only work sometimes and they flicker. alternator and battery both test perfect
-Randomly wont start at all just clicks. Starters already been replaced. Battery terminals and connectors are clean but if I disconnected and reconnected it enough it seems to help but only sometimes
-Theres a leak somewhere and the carpet on the passenger side floor by the door gets soaked but it only does it sometimes, not every time it rains which makes no sense. I resealed the rear window since I was able to find an area where water seemed to be leaking in but apparently that wasn't the only leak
-ac doesn't work. Not surprising with that though.
-Rides and drives surprisingly good

Things Ive replaced:
-plugs and wires
-cap and rotor
-ignition coil
-pcv valve
-oil pressure sensor
-starter
-tensioner pulley

Im sure theres more too both lists that I just cant think of right now :doh:

·
Registered
109 Posts
-Occasionally hearing a light ticking-From where? engine exhaust???
-Something is squeaking. Replaced tensioner pulley. Still squeaky-could be anything
-Dome lights only work sometimes and they flicker. alternator and battery both test perfect-could be a loose bulb, but I would check the switch on the A-pillar(s)
-Randomly wont start at all just clicks. Starters already been replaced. Battery terminals and connectors are clean but if I disconnected and reconnected it enough it seems to help but only sometimes- clamps on the cables are probably over tight causing them to be able to become loose over time so you need to find the sweet spot so they work
-Theres a leak somewhere and the carpet on the passenger side floor by the door gets soaked but it only does it sometimes, not every time it rains which makes no sense. I resealed the rear window since I was able to find an area where water seemed to be leaking in but apparently that wasn't the only leak- could be seal around the door or heater core starting to leak
-ac doesn't work. Not surprising with that though. this has a 2 directional switch, turn it counter clockwise controls the A/C unit turn it right just normal until you get to the defrost section.
-Rides and drives surprisingly good

Things Ive replaced:
-plugs and wires
-cap and rotor
-ignition coil
-pcv valve
-oil pressure sensor
-starter
-tensioner pulley

Im sure theres more too both lists that I just cant think of right now :doh:
It is not bad when I got my 96 7 cylinders were misfiring, no 2nd gear on the trans, water pump failed soft lower radiator hose, hole in the upper hose, needed tires, front were well lets just say racing slicks have more tread, right now the cat is 70% clogged. Cruise didn't work, bad vac. leak. I also have a water leak on the passenger floor Had the quad cab door on it tailgate so smashed I had to get it down with a 15lb sledge. You can bring it back just tackle one problem at a time pace yourself when you get mad walk away for a couple of hours and come at it with a clear head.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
-I think the ticking comes from the engine but its not constant so its hard to say.
-Issue with the dome lights isnt the bulb. Theres definitely electrical issues just haven't pin pointed where its coming from yet.
-Seal around the door is in perfect condition and heater core is also good.

Yea I guess I just have to keep doing one thing at a time like I have been. Eventually Ill get it all done haha. Sounds like the both of us need new trucks! lol

·
Registered
617 Posts
If i were you I'd hook up a mechanical oil pressure gauge to make sure you don't have a pressure problem. Especially when you are hearing ticking sounds. Cheap insurance from catastrophe.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts