DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 01 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9l 2wd, my oil pressure gauge is goin from 40 to 0 in a split second and jumps right back up. There is no knocking or noise and it runs just fine. I heard that the cause of the problem is the oil pressure switch so I am goin to replace it along with my oil later today and see if it helps any bit. I had my oil pump, crankshaft, and timing chain replace almost 2 years ago so I know thats all fine and I only put a couple thousand miles on since then. So does anybody have another suggestion while I'm at it?

PS the switch is located behind the intake manifold right beside the distributer on the passenger side if anybody has the same issue.

·
Resident Technician
14,202 Posts
Other causes include low oil level (which is very likely if you've never replaced the intake pan gasket), blocked pickup in the pan, or a bad pump. Since tow year old parts can go bad as easily as 10 year old parts, it would be wise to double check with a mechanical gauge since you'll already have the sending unit out.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
By changing the oil, filter, and switch it should take care of those causes. My oil is a little low but its right close to the bottom of safe zone on dip stick, I think I will be good after i change everything if not I'll let yall know if the problem persists. also is trans fluid a good flush or shud i just get the real engine flush stuff, cuz i got a quart of trans fluid already just wandering if i could use that?

·
Resident Technician
14,202 Posts
Engine flushing is a BAD idea. Think about it - when you start breaking stuff loose inside your engine, where does it go? Straight into the oil pan and into the pickup screen. A co-worker recently told me of a flush done on a Tahoe with 40k miles on it with a Wynns system. Less than a month later the engine had to be replaced due to oil starvation.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I heard about that happening as well, so how do you get rid of the gunk with out it breaking off in chunks?

·
Registered
66 Posts
i had same problem with mi last ram 95 5.9 ,when drivin it home from just buying it(5 year old 70,000mile truck at the time :SHOCKED:)
new oil pressure switch sorted it :smileup: had it for 6 years no more problem :smileup:

·
Registered
12 Posts
The 2000 RAM 5.2L I just bought once in a while when I am at a stop light the oil pressure guage drops to 0 in a split second. Soon as I hit the gas, or even sometimes if I put it in neutral it JUMPS back to normal. And my engine runs and sounds very strong, no ticking or other noises.

Hopefully we both just have flaky sending units.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I replaced the the oil pressure switch last friday and it got rid of the ever annoyin oil pressure drop! Punisher it sounds to me that you got the same issue and if so I'm tellin it fixed it. the part is only 20 bucks and easy to replace, go for it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I replaced the the oil pressure switch last friday and it got rid of the ever annoyin oil pressure drop! Punisher it sounds to me that you got the same issue and if so I'm tellin it fixed it. the part is only 20 bucks and easy to replace, go for it.
That is great news man, glad to hear it was a cheap fix for you! :smileup:

I hate to say it but I dont even know what this thing looks like or exactly where it is. I have a good aptitude for repairing things so if I can find a picture or diagram of where it is I'm sure I can handle it. Maybe I'll stop by Autozone on the way home and at least get the part.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
its located behind the intake manifold on the passenger side, positioned vertically.

hard to see the connector on the end of it so you will have to feel for the clip to remove it, also don't forget the oil pressure switch socket which is like 5 bucks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
so i have a 95 dodge ram 1500 4x4 5.9 and have the same oil issue i changed the oil sending unit, but it didnt fix it. is the oil presure switch something different or the same thing?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I believe its the same thing, idk did the sending unit look like that pic i posted cause that is the switch.

·
Registered
12 Posts
its located behind the intake manifold on the passenger side, positioned vertically.

hard to see the connector on the end of it so you will have to feel for the clip to remove it, also don't forget the oil pressure switch socket which is like 5 bucks.
Bought the sending unit and socket today. But of course I forgot I didnt have the right ratchet for the socket.... Guess it's back to the store tomorrow.

Thanks for the info..

·
Registered
10 Posts
well thats what i changed but didnt cure the problem. maybe a bad new one

if it dosnt hurt the motor i can live with it, but when it does go
out i wont know.

·
Registered
21 Posts
bet you its your oil pressure sending unit if thats not the problem check the wiring maybe its rotted and got some water in there or something otherwise it might be your gauge cluster

·
Registered
31 Posts
mine was the pressure switch also i also had a blown gasket on the plenum cover so i changed the switch when i had the intake off. Does it spark knock when you hammer it?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts