DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1997 Dodge Ram lariat 1500 4x4 with 360 magnum.
When I start up my truck, the oil pressure gauge reads 40 lbs and stays that way for a while when I am driving in town. The slowly it will drop down to the first line on the gauge. No clattering or odd sounds in engine. Park the truck, the next day, start it up and its 40 lbs and the behavior continues.

1. Noticed that the oil smelled gassy. Changed the oil and the problem went away for a few days. Periodic difficulty starting when warm with the oil problem makes me think fuel injectors.

2. The oil pressure gauge does not jump back and forth like the videos I watched on Youtube which would indicate oil pressure switch.

What should the oil pressure be when driving in town? When cruising at 65 mph on highway?

I don't think the injectors have been replaced from the factor units (150k on truck). Should I replace ?

Should I replace the oil pump?

thanks for guidance,
Darryl

·
Registered
307 Posts
From your description, it sounds like fuel is getting in the oil somehow: once the oil has warmed up, the pressure drops from a very light oil, and after changing the oil, the gassy smell has gone for a while. I don't think there's anything wrong with the oil system, the changing readings tell me the indicating system is working fine, and 40 lbs is about right for continuous running.

·
Registered
86 Posts
If you're gettin' liquid gasoline into your oil, you got serious problems n you'll feel it when you drive your beast. The factory oil pressure indicator is more of a switch than a pressure gauge so if the engine runs okay n there's no check engine light, don't sweat it. You oil pressure switch on the engine is either goin' bad or the connector is dirty (not uncommon). Could also be the instrument cluster or it's connector as well. If you're concerned you're getting gas washing down the cylinders, you're new best friend n bang for the buck will be an engine scanner that'll read live data. They're not that expensive n you can read your fuel trims n they'll tell you everything you need to know about your injectors. Both long n short term trims should read around "0" at steady RPM n engine load. You can do this test in your driveway.

·
Registered
117 Posts
What temperature does it run?
I had my engine rebuilt and the moron who did it put a 160 thermostat in it and because of this it wasn't warming up fully.
As a result, the computer kept it running rich and therefore excessive fuel was getting ito the oil. This caused the oil to smell like gas and giving faulty readings on the oil gauge.....

Mayhap the same deal?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts