DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is everyone getting for their normal oil pressure at both a stop and under load?

I changed the oil in my truck today, and now I'm noticing what I think is a little bit low oil pressure while stopped (a light or stop sign). It's about 24-30 psi on the digital gauge in the EVIC, and is almost straight up and down (in the middle) of the analog gauge in the cluster. While it's under load it appears to be normal ~50-55 psi on the EVIC and a little to the right of the middle on the analog. I'm also noticing that my idle (if it in fact called idle) while stopped at either a light or a stop sign is down to around 500 RPMs.. this seems a little low too, which could explain the lower oil pressure.

I put in Mobil 1 5W20, but I used a Bosche filter, which I've never done before. I'm not sure if it's related or not. I've checked several times, there are no leaks, fill cap is on and tight, and everything else that I can think of looks good.

Should I be concerned?

Exco

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
the plot thickens. I noticed last night when I went to work that MDS doesn't appear to be working either.

I'm suspecting that it's my oil filter. Gonna replace it with the Mobil 1 filter that I should've bought the first time, top off the oil as needed and see what happens.

I'll post in a day or two with results.

Exco

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
***update***

all seems to be well and working the way that it should be.

Oil pressure is normal, both under load and at idle. MDS appears to be functioning normal.

I haven't gotten around to changing the filter, think I'm gonna wait a bit and see if the problem reappears.

Exco

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
***update***

all seems to be well and working the way that it should be.

Oil pressure is normal, both under load and at idle. MDS appears to be functioning normal.

I haven't gotten around to changing the filter, think I'm gonna wait a bit and see if the problem reappears.

Exco
problem disappeared all on its own??

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
500rpm idle seems normal. New vehicles idle very low to save fuel. My 4.7L idles anywhere between 400-600rpm. I'd say 30psi or more at idle is plenty. The pressure isn't quite as important as most people think, it's the volume that is most important. Anything between 30-60psi should be good.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
problem disappeared all on its own??
it appears to have, yes. I don't know if I had a gremlin for a couple of days or what. I'm keeping an eye on it, but so long as everything appears to be functioning the way it should, then I won't worry too much about it

For what its worth, 10 psi of oil pressure per 1000 rpm is enough.
I would agree, it's just that I'd never noticed it that low before. I'm pretty sure that the low oil pressure was related to the low idle RPM.

500rpm idle seems normal. New vehicles idle very low to save fuel. My 4.7L idles anywhere between 400-600rpm. I'd say 30psi or more at idle is plenty. The pressure isn't quite as important as most people think, it's the volume that is most important. Anything between 30-60psi should be good.

I noticed that something was different, as mine usually idles somewhere around 600-750 RPM. It almost sounded like it was "bogging down" while stopped at the light.

As I said above, I'm gonna keep a close eye on it, and then go from there. I still don't know why it would act the way it did, then suddenly correct itself, but then again so long as everything is normal, then I won't worry too much about it

Exco

1 - 8 of 8 Posts