DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently purchased 2002 that's sort of limping around, begging for some TLC. Poor Silver dropped his 8th cylinder rocker arm two times, and had a major coolant leak. But, I believe that I have those issues fixed. *knock on wood* I haven't had any issues there, and adding Seafoam motor treatment to gas, and Transmission treatment to tranny helped some.

But holy crap, the OIL SLUDGE!!! :Wow1:

I mean, I would be okay if it was just a little of the yellow condensation/emulsified water on the cap. But on no. It's everywhere, it's a mess. :smiledown:

One of my friends insisted that it was a head gasket. It really isn't. It's just water. We flushed the oil out-- added some transmission fluid, got it nice and hot, and then drained it, blew it clean, then added oil and a new filter. Next day, oil's same way, if not worse. I've replaced the oil cap twice, as the one that came with it didn't have an O-ring. I can't do another flush right now, don't have the time or tools on premises to do it, but it will be done within the week, hopefully with the oil pan dropped as well, and a more intense flush regimen this time.

I'm pretty sure that this sludge is what's causing me oil pressure issues-- It takes anywhere from 30-280 seconds to get pressure right at start-up. Only once has it dropped pressure after it's delayed 'grab', and runs decently.
I had been getting decent mileage somewhere in the 15-17-ish-mpg range, but that's dropped to 11.5ish, as calculated by hand. Yikes. Then again, I also do NOT drive like a granny. I have a V8, I drive it like a V8. (or maybe a V10)

Another thing that's going to be fixed soon is my muffler/exhaust. Looks like, for now, that will just be stock, though I'm looking at also getting something with some sound effect to it.

Okay. QUESTIONS. ;)
1) Any ideas why the sludge keeps coming back? Or is it just so sludged that I haven't got it all out yet?
2) Any other ideas on what else to try to get RID of the sludge?
3) Any mods I should think about getting for performance? if so, reasons behind? (open to any ideas, but guys, I'm a poor college student :shy: )
4) Any other thoughts on this?

Thank you so much in advance, and sorry for writing yet another book. I can't help it.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Pictures

Assuming I attach these pictures right, this is what my oil cap and everything look like. The cap picture is not the most recent, that is simply the worst I have on record, in my own opinion.. the other is the most recent I believe. Still. You guys get the idea.
--Kelsey

Attachments

·
Registered
796 Posts
I had a long reply typed out before, but it was lost for some reason. The 4.7 is known for sludge issues. I've heard its because of the compact design and condensation in short trips/not getting up to temp. I would try running Seafoam in the engine and doing frequent oil changes.

I'd put a Magnaflow 14" or 18" muffler and duals. My cousin has an 04 4.7, and it sounds mean with a Magnaflow 18".

Goood luck and I gotta say, it's cool seeing a female on the forums that is enthusiastic about her vehicle and knows her stuff. :)

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had a long reply typed out before, but it was lost for some reason. The 4.7 is known for sludge issues. I've heard its because of the compact design and condensation in short trips/not getting up to temp. I would try running Seafoam in the engine and doing frequent oil changes.

I'd put a Magnaflow 14" or 18" muffler and duals. My cousin has an 04 4.7, and it sounds mean with a Magnaflow 18".

Goood luck and I gotta say, it's cool seeing a female on the forums that is enthusiastic about her vehicle and knows her stuff. :)
Hey The Persuader, thank you for the info! I will certainly try the seafoam, the motor treatment did great things when added to the gas. I guess the commute to school (around 40 miles, mostly highway, one way) isn't enough of an 'exercise' to burn off the condensation. The sludge got really bad after the dealer changed the oil as 'a favor', and I haven't been able to get rid of it since.. Ah well.

As for the mangaflow with duals, I'd love to do that. Will have to see what happens!

And thanks! I want to be able to do more of my own maintenance and mods... Hopefully I'll learn more sooner rather than later! :)

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
I don't know if anyone makes a catch can for the 4.7, but that will keep a lot of water out of the motor. I have one on my hemi Magnum wagon and in cold weather it pulls a lot of water out. How's the thermostat? Perhaps put in a new one. I run 203F in winter, 180F in summer. Replace the pcv valve.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Hey The Persuader, thank you for the info! I will certainly try the seafoam, the motor treatment did great things when added to the gas. I guess the commute to school (around 40 miles, mostly highway, one way) isn't enough of an 'exercise' to burn off the condensation. The sludge got really bad after the dealer changed the oil as 'a favor', and I haven't been able to get rid of it since.. Ah well.

As for the mangaflow with duals, I'd love to do that. Will have to see what happens!

And thanks! I want to be able to do more of my own maintenance and mods... Hopefully I'll learn more sooner rather than later! :)
I would think that would heat the oil up enough to get rid of condensation. I wonder what oil they used...
I don't know if anyone makes a catch can for the 4.7, but that will keep a lot of water out of the motor. I have one on my hemi Magnum wagon and in cold weather it pulls a lot of water out. How's the thermostat? Perhaps put in a new one. I run 203F in winter, 180F in summer. Replace the pcv valve.
This is good info. In my experience, the lower temperature thermostats do help with performance, but will lower fuel economy due to the engine running richer. This was on a GM 4.3 V6 and my old 360 Magnum.

·
Registered
263 Posts
To me that looks a lot worse than just a condensation build up. If it were my truck I'd try a floursent coolant dye to totally rule out a head or intake gasket.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To me that looks a lot worse than just a condensation build up. If it were my truck I'd try a floursent coolant dye to totally rule out a head or intake gasket.
Will probably try that, though we're pretty positive that it's condensation.
Like I said, my oil cap did not even have an o-ring on it, so it didn't seal. The second one I got at napa didn't fit right, even though it was a specific part look up. And then the dealer took it upon himself to get an OEM/Mopar oil cap, so I've been through a couple of those. :doh:
I'll try and see if I can't find some coolant dye though, can't hurt, that's for sure.
Thanks!

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I run full synthetic oil and I don't have any sludge issues anymore.
I had really been thinking about doing the switch, we're using Valvoline high-mileage synthetic blend in all our trucks. I asked my mechanic friend about it, and he told me that he thinks that the synthetic would make it worse :4-dontknow: I have NO idea where he got that information from, but it made me hesitate (he has more experience than I do).

On another note, I got a new muffler and tailpipe-- a $30 thrust turbo that may be changed when I can afford something better (Though now that it's been broke in, it sounds pretty awesome)-- and my mileage, I'm happy to say, has gone up to about 15-16 mpg. I'm also getting better performance. Then again, anything would be better than a completely shot, rusted through muffler and no tail pipe! :smileup:

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On another note, I got a new muffler and tailpipe-- a $30 thrust turbo that may be changed when I can afford something better
haha, apparently I can't spell, sorry guys. I have a Thrush Turbo muffler. :doh:

GO DODGE!

·
Registered
102 Posts
what is the temp outside been like? if its cold like I was here for a while my truck left the yellow sluge on the cap to not as bad but as soon as the warmer weather came it cleared right up! might pull the pcv off and see if its still good that will cause it to stay nasty if its not good!

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cold?

what is the temp outside been like? if its cold like I was here for a while my truck left the yellow sluge on the cap to not as bad but as soon as the warmer weather came it cleared right up! might pull the pcv off and see if its still good that will cause it to stay nasty if its not good!
Has it been cold? :LOL: This winter has been the bane of my existence! There were cars and trucks freezing up and dying left and right. It killed my mom's car (ice and morons=wreck. She was okay, Concorde... not so much), my neighbor's car froze, and even our Rams wouldn't start because it was so cold a few times. We had multiple days where it was -50 degree windchill.

So, safe to say it's been d*mn cold, just now starting to get warmer. I think it got down to 27 degrees just last week, maybe the week before. Unseasonably cold, even for Indiana.

Thanks for the info and the suggestion!

We'll see what the warmer weather brings.

Go Dodge!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem with my 2002 ram the mechanics dropped the oil pan and it was disgusting. I found out that Dodge did not make the oil return ports large enough in the engine and this is what is causing the according to my mechanic unfortunaltly my 4.7 blew because of this problem

1 - 14 of 14 Posts