DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So lets say the stink is a chemical reaction between the hoses and the coolant.

My thoughts are these:

1 ) I thought the coolant system was fairly closed, so how is that stink liberating itself into the atmosphere? If it's coming from the overflow, can we do a better job of sealing that?

2 ) Why are we concerned about the MSDS info when to me it seems like we should be more interested in the interaction of the coolant and hose material? Send off some hose and coolant to an independent lab, and see what they think.

What say ye?

Var

·
Registered
569 Posts
I saw these questions come up in other threads. I think it's a great idea to start a new thread for this - good job!

One guy said a balloon on the overflow worked. I haven't given that a lot of thought, but it sure seems like an easy and inexpensive thing to at least try. As long as it'll blow off if there is a major problem.
There was another issue to extend the hose toward the rear of the vehicle. Not sure about this so much....

The health risk angle is the right way to attack this. Need to get at least one little fact, and then we should all work together to get some publicity on the issue. That's the one thing that will make the bean-counters at Ram/Chrysler take the issue seriously.
I have no idea how to analyze the gas. There has to be someone on the forumz that knows someone else who might. Let's use the network!!

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
An easy way to fix this is to put all the Chrysler execs in these stinky rams and make them drive like that for a week. You will see how a solution will be available next Monday.

·
Registered
96 Posts
OK this is the first I have heard of this and I am a bit worried as we have 2 new units coming. Just exactly what IS this smell?

·
Registered
569 Posts
OK this is the first I have heard of this and I am a bit worried as we have 2 new units coming. Just exactly what IS this smell?
Best if you just do a quick search for OAT and smell. There are threads all over on this issue. It's basically a reaction in the cooling system that releases a smell that some describe as propane, and most as dead animal. Originally it was thought it was a reaction between the OAT coolant and the hoses. Then someone heard there were issues with residue/filings/etc from the casting process of the engine. These are reacting with the OAT and the hoses.
Grab a drink, and read through some of the threads. You'll want to be sitting for this.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi, take a look HERE . It's a thread found in the 2013 sub-forum that goes into depth, and is where I initially caught sight of the issue.

Cheers,

Var

·
Registered
511 Posts
Best if you just do a quick search for OAT and smell. There are threads all over on this issue. It's basically a reaction in the cooling system that releases a smell that some describe as propane, and most as dead animal. Originally it was thought it was a reaction between the OAT coolant and the hoses. Then someone heard there were issues with residue/filings/etc from the casting process of the engine. These are reacting with the OAT and the hoses.
Grab a drink, and read through some of the threads. You'll want to be sitting for this.
Great, I must have the damn issue too the. I get the propane smell.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Hi, take a look HERE . It's a thread found in the 2013 sub-forum that goes into depth, and is where I initially caught scent of the issue.

Cheers,

Var
fixed

1 - 10 of 10 Posts