DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious....I'm running it low on gas so I can fill-up with 89 oct this time (once a month). Don't care about price per gallon (wouldn't of bought this truck if I did). What gas/brand will give me that sweet spot?!!!!!!!! ;) Exxon, BP, Hess,.....Louie's piss suds..etc.......

·
Registered
307 Posts
If you're running a stock setup, 94 octane is a waste of money. Anything over the recommended 89 octane is a waste, for that matter.

I use 10% ethanol 89 octane gasoline from my local 7-11 Convenience Store. No issues at all. Averaging 17-19 mpg driving 80% highway miles.

Darin

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
The truck will run on anything that has an octane rating of 87 or higher. It is recommended to use 89 octane. 91 or higher is likely a waste of money and give no benefits. It'll run fine on 87 but you MIGHT get slightly less power and mpg. I'd use 89.

As far as brand, they're all basically the same. It all comes from the same station (in my area it's the central florida pipeline) and each company just adds a few additives(chevron adds "techron", bp adds "invigorate", etc.).

·
Registered
718 Posts
Can u run e85? I don't think we can I'm sure it would throw a bunch of codes due to making the engin run too lean? But I'm not 100%

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
Do not run E85 in a non E85 vehicle. I don't think the hemi's are E85 capable. It could cause a lot of damage to fuel lines, gaskets, etc...

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
It depends on which direction that I'm going when I fuel up. Mostly I use either Chevron or Valero, though occasionally I'll throw in some Exxon or Shell. I've even been known to use Wal-Mart special... it's currently almost 20 cents cheaper a gallon here

Usually it's what ever is the cheapest.

Exco

·
Registered
113 Posts
I think there are regional differences in gas. When we ventured to Florida a month back I was getting 18/19 here in hill country. I thought for sure I'd zing out some record numbers when I got to flatter terrain, especially south Fl. Instead mileage steadily dropped until I was seeing about 16 down there. As we came home, mileage went back up. I'm seeing 19.4 around here on the highway. The only variable I can think of is the gas.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I live in UT and our high altitude lets us run 85 octane (regular) 88 octane for (Mid) and 93 for (High) I have run all three with no real difference same mileage same power (higher price for the other than regular. So i have been running the 85 with no issues. On my cross country drive with the ram loaded with my sons stuff. I saw something very interesting in Nebraska "Real Gas no Ethanol" The gas pump price displayed at the station was for the 10% ethanol and it was 89 octane. but for 10 cents more you could get 87 octane no ethanol. Before you ask yes I did get better gas mileage with the 87 octane. Only about 2 mile better but still better averaged about 19 across Nebraska at 80 miles per hour.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I use only Marathon.. Why because that is the fuel barge that is pushed up the Kanawha River to the bulk storage facility located in Charleston. There all of your Exxon's, BP's, Go-Mart's, Speedway's, Sheet's come and fill up to take to the local retailer. Come on guys !!!

·
Registered
140 Posts
I work in the oil and gas business building above ground storage tanks for tank terminals and refineries. As far as the particular gas retailers (marathon, bp, checron, etc...) it usually does not make much of a difference. These guys "swap" or borrow product so much it is hard to tell what you are getting at any given time. As far as the type of gasoline you are getting...most of the time the difference is so minuscule that the extra cost isnt worth it. Some people feel they notice a difference, while others do not. A lot just comes down to personal preference.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I don't really care which brand I use, but always try to get my gas from a busy, new looking location. Busy because the gas is more likely to be fresh. And new looking because the tanks are probably cleaner.

Bill

1 - 20 of 22 Posts