DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got our first snow of the year last night... about 4 inches in central NJ. I must say that my tired old OE Wrangler HP's with 45K on them performed pretty well. Very little slipping or sliding in slush and and on icy compacted snow. However... they are horrible in the rain. I don't understand it!!

Anyway come early spring I gotta go for new tires. I'm torn between spending a lot for the Mich LTX M/S2's. Or... my 2nd choices are Cooper Zeon LTZ's or BFG All Terrain TA's. We'll see how the funds are in March. I have the 20 inch alloy stockers with 275/60/20's on them. I was also thinking if I went with the Coopers or BFG's could I go up a size to 275/65/20. I know the speedo would be off a tad... but would I need spacers... or have to worry about a rub on the fronts??

Feel free to comment or give any advice on the Michelin's as opposed to The Coopers and the BFG's . Lots of knowledge on this forum, I really enjoy it!!

·
Registered
12,860 Posts
I've seen a whack of posts about how good the cooper's are. Not sure on the sizing however, I'm still trying to wrap my head around that as well.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I had a set of BFG AT/KO's last 65k miles. They're good tires.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Either the 3rd or 4th gen can run the 275/65/20 just fine with no mods. It will not rub. Rubbing is usually caused by width rather than height and these tires are the same width as stock and only 1" taller. That size is what Dodge should have put on from the factory in my opinion but I'm sure cost was a factor as the 275/65 are a good couple hundred more than the 275/60.

Your speedo would read ~1.9 MPH too slow at 60 MPH with the 275/65.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I am currently running a set of Cooper Zeon LTZ's 275/60/20 on my Ram and I love them. I bought them through discounttire direct online and they shipped them right to my door. They were the cheapest tire with the best rating out of the ones I saw. As far as size my truck is stock 4x2 height and I don't have an issue with rubbing but they are defiantly a snug fit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts