DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2012 Ram regular cab short bed hemi. I got a great deal on it when I bought it new. The truck is red and want the camper in flat black. I'd like to get a camper shell for it but not sure I want to drop $2500+ on a new Leer or A.R.E.

Dimensions on the out edge of my bed are approx. 22 High on Cab side, 78.5 Long, 68.5 wide at cab and 72.5 wide on tailgate. Similar Ram models dating back as far as 2002 are very close to this and so campers from those years are often used on our 4th gen with success, though tailgate issues can arise. I could probably find a used camper with very close dimensions for under $500 and then spend $50 to paint it myself with bedliner paint... I don't have to be pretty or perfect as my truck is full of dings and scratches anyways.

Anybody running an older Camper shell maybe made for another truck manufacturer with any success? If so, which ones? Pics would also be great.

·
Registered
8,034 Posts
You could find a camper you're interested in and two the street you'll but it off it fits. Then put it on the truck and see if it will work for you. Unless someone who's done this chimes in, this may be your best bet to find out. Is there a place where you live that sells used campers as well as new?

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Is it that difficult to find one used for a 4th gen? The trucks have been out for almost a decade and they've sold like 4 million of them

·
Super Moderator
19 Ram 1500 Big Horn Sport 5.7 Hemi 4X4 QC
6,656 Posts
Just a thought. Have you tried looking through the local junk yards? Perhaps, you cold find something in relatively good shape that hasn't been damaged or lost it's integrity. My next guess would be to try Craiglist? I bought a hard shell tonneau cover off Ebay after I got my 05 Silverado Z-71 4X4. I had to drive from K.C. to Ft. Wayne, IN to pick it up, but I still saved a bundle over buying one new.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
So I never did the actual swap to check but figured out that anything made for a specific brand would not fit right and look like hell. Also gaps would probably cause extra wind noise too. If you have to go cheap the best bet is the lowest top leer makes, it is same mold as their higher models just with only a 3 year warranty vs lifetime. Also don't add extras as that os where it gets expensive. I have 44k miles on the topper and 95k on the truck and they are both holding up well. I wash weekly, wax monthly and garage kept.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts