DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I think I might know the ancer to this just want a point of view from the rest. I think rusty might need a starter. Its a 95 5.9 and dad's been haveing problems with it starting. The truck sits a lot might get deiven 16 miles a month (that's if dad's had a busy month). Well when he first starts it you hear the silonoid clunk and that's it on the second turn fires right up! Now this weekend he and I drove it same thing KLUNK. This time it was a 3 count before it spun. Now cables are tight, not mutch movement from amp guadge. So starter or not? Now as a side note it won't do it for the rest of the day just first start. Also dad's 80 and quite independent so reliability is a concern. Thanks

·
Registered
462 Posts
Theres a copper stud in the starter that has probably gone green, if you took the starter apart and removed the corrosion and lubed things up, you'd most likely be good to go for a good long time...

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Theres a copper stud in the starter that has probably gone green, if you took the starter apart and removed the corrosion and lubed things up, you'd most likely be good to go for a good long time...
Ill look into that next time I'm at farm. Not that I'm agenst replaceing it just would rather not.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well it was starter. As a WARNING to all that drive there 4x4 in salt, snow or park on gravel as we do. Use lots of pb blaster the night before! It well probebly seze to stud like mine did. Let's put it this way 3 hours long bar, 20lb sledge two guys beating the hell out of it.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
That ain't rust.....it's patina! ;)
Maby this summer. But if its like the starter. Screw that! :smiledown:besieds I kind of like the rust race stripe.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts