DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i put in air horns on a push button switch awhile ago and it works fine, problem is, the push button switch in the center of my overhead console and all my friends like to have a fun time hitting it constantly while we are driving.

my other friend also installed one but on a toggle switch. i thought that was neat.

so heres what im trying to do. im using a radioshack switch number 275-1533 if you want to look at it. its diagram on the switch goes as following:

on 1 4
off 2 5
on 3 6

how can i wire this so one on position goes to the push button,
the off position is OFF,
the last on position acts as its own toggle switch for the horn.

thank you

P.S. im also doing this twice, one for air horns, the other for an "AHOOOOOGA" horn. but the wiring should be the same.

they are ran off 12v add a circuits.

·
Registered
107 Posts
wouldn"t it be easier to get a tazer for the friend that pushed the horn when you told him not too. or just let him walk.

·
8,064 Posts
Another option would be to wire a simple on/off toggle switch somewhere that provides the power to your push button. Then if that switch was off the push button wouldn't work. You could hide it under your seat or on the left side of the dash or something.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so basically i would only be using one side of the terminals? ive attached a diagram on what i am taking this as(please excuse my terrible MS PAINT skills) i assume that the 12v and ground can be interchanged depending on set up too.

and brandonjansen, that is what i will do if for some reason this wont work, i just thought having a toggle switch for on and off would be a cool thing to toss in there.

to everyone else: i like the ideas of only the driver can push it, but lets face it, having 2 buttons and a lit up toggle switch(for my subs) in the overhead center console just looks pretty sweet. haha

Thanks

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I'm not a fan of the train horns but the best set up I've seen used an ON-ON toggle switch to alternate between the stock horn and the accessory. Both are then controlled through the horn button on the steering wheel depending on where the toggle is set. You could wire a three position toggle to ON-ON-ON and do the same thing with all three horns. It's a very clean set up with fewer buttons.

If you really need (or want) the secondary push button switch wire the toggles the way you showed but use an ON-OFF-Momentary ON switch instead. This way it's less likely to accidentally be set off. The worst that can happen is a small burst if someone knocks the toggle switch.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
well the main reason i bought air horns is because my stock horn decited to die and im too lazy to figure out where the problem is haha.

what is a momentary on switch?

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
what is a momentary on switch?
A momentary switch is one that is activated only as long as you're pushing it.

They come as either normally close, momentary open which means that unless you're pushing the button current is running through the circuit all the time. These are often used as stop button for ignition circuits and such.

They also come normally open, momentary closed, which means that the circuit is open (off) until you push the button. Once the button is pushed the current is able to flow, and the device hooked up to it does what it's supposed to. If you release the button, the circuit is opened and the device no longer functions.

Hope that this helps

Exco

1 - 12 of 12 Posts