DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since new, my '14 1500 with the 3.6L and 845RE trans has banged gears. Specifically, the shift from 1-2, and then from 8-7. The bang feels similar to if you were driving stick, and rather than releasing the clutch, to slide your foot off the pedal, and allow it to snap up.

I've had it back to a dealer several times for the issue, each time, they flash or update the transmission software, the issue disappears for a few thousand miles, then it progressively gets worse. The cycle generally runs about 10K, until it's frequent enough that it can be reliably duplicated.

The last time I had it in, knowing that I was at 94K with my powertrain running out, I told the dealer under no circumstances to flash it. Well, guess what they did...

So I'm now sitting at 98K, with the banging beginning to surface again, but not frequently enough that I can expect a dealer to duplicate it. I took it in early this week, and it literally sat for three days until I complained to the service manager, at which point he took it for a ride, and surprisingly, after five minutes, was unable to duplicate the problem. He went as far as to tell me that these trucks just do that.

So now I'm stuck. I have an issue, but due to a dealership not following directions, I can't even duplicate the issue where a dealer will even look at it. I have an open case with Chrysler, but I don't think my case manager can really do anything given my situation.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what options I have? I really don't want to get a lawyer involved, but I also don't want a catastrophic failure just out of warranty.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I keep reading about "its been documented, you're covered"....Im not sure how much faith I have in that, though. I have a feeling most of the time FCA wouldnt push back too much, as long as your dealer put up a fight for you. I just dont trust any dealer to actually fight for me (or you)

I would make it very clear again with the service manager, maybe even the GENERAL manager of the dealership. And contact your case manager and see if you can talk to THEIR supervisor too.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Do a trade for a 2019 with the dealer (same exact person) that is telling you the truck is fine. Even if you can't afford to trade make them think you are. Simple role reversal. I did this type thing and it got me in with the GM. He told me that I was being told bs and this gave me leverage on a new vehicle. Beat them with a smile at the same game. Also no guilt trade. you have disclosed.

·
Premium Member
32,663 Posts
As long as they gave you a STAR CASE number, i believe that they will continue to repair it
If they don't, you can go before a Mediator with all of the paperwork

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do have a STAR case, but my case manager had mentioned that there's no guarantees that it'll be covered once it hits 100k, even though it's the same issue since 5K.

It's kinda disconcerting that everything is done via phone. I want emails documenting what they're saying.

I'm wondering if I can have a private shop do all the driveline fluids (Diffs, T-case, trans) and if something isn't right, that give me something to stand on. Normally I'd just do it myself, but I doubt FCA would believe me if I said I dropped the trans pan, and found something. I don't know that they'd believe a private shop.
I don't trust dealers. Not only to not lie, but some of these people working there aren't qualified to work on a moped. (No offense to any tech reading this, but I know you know at least one person you work with that fits that description.)

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I would not do that, if it been back numerous times for the same issue then it should fall under the lemon law. I’d be calling Chrysler and wearing there ass out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts