DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there everyone, Im new here but I need some help and advice. I test drove a 2012 Ram on Saturday and I cant wait to get one of my own!

I am very interested in a Ram Express reg cab short bed 4x4, what are the must have options to get. I definitely think I want the 3.92's with locking diff and the Uconnect system. Other than that I dont know what else I should look for? I like the Sport but I want the bench seat so thats why I am looking at the Express along with the price.

Im looking forward to opinions and advice. Also what are some of the good out the door prices for similar trucks, I live in the Denver Metro area.

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
You may have to shop around or use the FLEET/INTERNET sales office at your dealership to shop for you, they also will give you the lowest price available, they get your choice of vehicle, even if they have to go to a different dealership to make a sale

you can get the 3.92 with LSD
i suggest that you get the
RBZ 430 radio without Navigation with Uconnect & steering wheel controls & touch screen
or the
RHB 430N with Navigation with Uconnect & steering wheel controls & touch screen

Definitely get the EVIC with ALL gauges, no idiot lights

Sport package usually comes with plastic bumpers
the chrome bumpers seem to have rusting issues

If you get the HEMI engine, the dual exhaust out the back is a nice option

Tire size & rim type is another think to consider, 18 & 20" are the normal options
plastic chrome clad, or aluminum, or another type are your rim options

I'm sure others will give you more to think about

rear view back up camera, Michelins instead of Goodyear tires, tow package, even if you do not tow, gives you a heavy duty radiator, remote start

·
Registered
337 Posts
Welcome.
IMHO- what will you use this rig for. Dress her out accordingly. Style,power,looks,- what ever will fill the bill. The options list can run long. Happy Hunting.
Whatever you get , the right choice is a Dodge Ram.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The express is limited on factory options as far electronics go, nav is not an option in the express. You'll have to go aftermarket or buy it direct and install it yourself. Evic is not really a must have but is certainly nice and in order to have it on the express you need to order the factory brake controller with the extended instrument cluster. When ordering the express model you need to pay attention, it does not include keyless entry by default and that is pretty much required if you want to add anythign else like remote start etc.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Just play with the online configurator at ramtrucks.com. It'll tell you whats available for each trim level and what the list price is. It will also list the incentives available in your area. Then go to KBB.com or NADAguides and plug in the same info, and find the dealer cost prices. Armed with that info you should be able to cut yourself a decent deal. I also ordered a standard cab truck. In my case it was a 4WD SLT with every available option. I believe the express has a limited option list although it is well equipped. Good luck.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for all the input and advice. I have sent a ton of time on the Ram website playing with different configurations. My needs arent too unusual, I will haul my project car from time to time with a tandem axle flat trailer and thats about as heavy as I go for towing. Hauling will be rock and much from time to time for the house, that about it. Which is why I am looking at the standard cab short bed model.

But part of the problem is there are so many different variants I could make at the Ram site. My must have are EVIC, 4X4, Uconnect, remote entry, steering wheel controls and thats about it. My mind is set on the non chrome exterior with the painted bumpers, Im tired of dealing with chrome polishing and rust.

I've never owned a brand new vehicle of any sort so I need some advice on the purchase. Since I want to build my own and I haven't seen a model close to what I want I plan on ordering. Since that's the case, do I just fill out the paperwork at the dealership and place a security deposit? And how long will I wait for it to arrive? I will definitively do the KBB the dealer cost thing ro better arm myself.

·
Registered
337 Posts
The process can take some time. You go to the Dodge Ram web sight>Build > then start making choices. Body style,color,etc. When your truck is in front of you on the web site - Print out your truck build sheet. Everything you put into the Ram will be on that print-out. You take it to your dealership find a sales person and start the battle. By the end of these negotiations your truck order will be sent too the factory. Build time varies 6to12 weeks. I have done this and it is a hoot to buy the exact truck you want. Good luck and be careful of sticker shock

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
the Ram 1500 standard cab & all the heavy duty cabs are made in Mexico
they are every bit as good as the cabs made in the USA

everything that is Optional is available in the Express models, it is just an added cost
almost every model can be in the Express

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have an AMERICAN made EXPRESS model RAM.:LOL:

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
<<<<American made Express as well... And I suggest you get everything on your Ram that you expect to need in the next 5 years. That is how I buy mine. However I did not get my trailer brake setup thinking it could be a later install when my new tagalong arrives in the yard ...but found out I should have gotten it since it has been an issue do to factory wiring not provided on certain models, which in turn only allows for aftermarket brake setup. Plan ahead ,,IMO

·
Registered
354 Posts
Westy, GTyankee is correct in that all standard cab trucks are built at the Saltillo Mexico plant. Also all heavy duty 2500 and 3500 trucks are built there along with Freightliner big rigs. All 1500 4 door trucks are built in Warren MI regardless of trim level. The Mexico plant is fairly new (2009) and has excellent equipment and quality control. You will not be disappointed either way. Rubber bumper 2 door trucks are either the express or the sport model. If you order the trailer brake option you will get the EVIC included as part of that package on the express. One last thing, once your order is accepted by the factory you cannot make any changes to it period. So be sure of whats on it before the dealer submits it.

·
Registered
354 Posts
How to tell where your 2012 truck was built. The letter just ahead of the last 6 numbers of the VIN denotes the assembly plant. "S" trucks were built in Warren MI. and "G" trucks in Saltillo MX.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The Saltillo plant is almost an exact replica of the Warren plant too - I wouldn't pay this any mind personally. Obviously there's the warm feeling you get when driving a domestic vehicle (or some of us do) but I wouldn't let this put you off. One thing I can say is no matter where it's made, in my opinion - it beats a GM (by a mile) or a Ford (by less of a margin) in quality.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Westy, GTyankee is correct in that all standard cab trucks are built at the Saltillo Mexico plant. Also all heavy duty 2500 and 3500 trucks are built there along with Freightliner big rigs. All 1500 4 door trucks are built in Warren MI regardless of trim level. The Mexico plant is fairly new (2009) and has excellent equipment and quality control. You will not be disappointed either way. Rubber bumper 2 door trucks are either the express or the sport model. If you order the trailer brake option you will get the EVIC included as part of that package on the express. One last thing, once your order is accepted by the factory you cannot make any changes to it period. So be sure of whats on it before the dealer submits it.
Very good info to know! The easiest way to know what country a Ram is made in is the first number in your VIN; if it starts with a "1" it us made in the US, if it is a "3" it is made in Mexico.

Good to know about the final build points, dang I guess I really need to be positive about what I want on this one.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts