DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picking up my ram on the 24th. Ipurchased it knowing she is a gas guzzler. Definitely not complaining.

Just wondering if anyone managed to squeeze out a few more km without spending thousands???

Will be replacing the stock filter with a k&n rightoff the bat. Not upgrading to a full cai due to the fact it sucks in more hot air than cold anyways.

Anybody around running chips? And if so a review would be awesome.

Anyways, looking forward to posting pictures of my white sport beaut when keys are mine.

Thanks everyone,
Justin

·
Registered
248 Posts
Your not going to see huge MPG gains by doing mods. You might sqeeze out a little more but in my opinion the best way to maximize your MPG's is to keep your foot out of the gas pedal as much as possible. I have only managed to average about 14.5 mpg's per tank of gas (at best). My last fillup was $106.00...that motivates me to stay out of the throttle as much as possible, but it's a hard thing to do.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kinda hard when you have a truck like this though..
But I know what you mean just take it easy with the stops and starts and on the highways it'll get it's best mpg.

·
Registered
8,602 Posts
yeah i have a hyundai (2nd car) so i dont have to drive the ram as much :LOL:

·
Registered
230 Posts
To save gas I bought a Nissan sentra 95 it's getting 32 mpg I drive my truck about 2 times a week so it don't sit too much

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
The RAM isn't made for the gas mileage....$102 to fill her up yesterday! woohoo!

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know it's not made for mileage.
My nitro takes 110$ to fill her up too.

I'm used to burning the fuel, just looking to see what other members have been doing and the results.

My first mod is a diablo trinity when of course the "2011" tuners come out. Been reading tons of reviews on them and seems like this is the #1 in tuning programmers.
Sent them a few emails about the product, release date, etc... Will keep posted

E

·
0 Posts
Well, some intakes don't suck in hot air as they use the stock location for cold air in the fender, such as Volant and some of the AFE intakes.

Basically, intake, exhaust and a programmer will help. Obviously keeping your foot out of it (hard to do, ask me how I know :D) will help as well.

·
Registered
142 Posts
My mileage has slowly improved as my truck gets more miles on it. $119.50 on the last fill-up motivates me to push on the gas pedal very lightly. I'm in the low 14's right now driving in-town. I've seen 20+mpg on the highway. It's kind of ridiculous that I drive the speed limit now more than I ever have in my whole life. Go figure.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Watch your tack and don't go over 2000 rpm's , I get 20 mpg going 66 mph ! I have kicked it , just to see what the Ram would do ! 2011 5.7 Hemi,SLT Quad Cab,4x4,3.92,Towing Machine,best MPG of all full size trucks!

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have seen 21 on a highway trip, level ground, MDS on, granny accel mode active.
Typically around 17 or so in town, averaged out.

Best mod is what everyone above said: Adjust your right foot.

Then again....it's a 390hp, 4.10 geared, V8......gas mileage? :4-looney:

·
Registered
462 Posts
CAI helped a little. Tonneau cover in the Windy City on the Highway also helped MPG a little. Over all the $1150 spent on the mods will take the life of the truck to pay off in savings.

1mpg increase equates to 26miles per tank if your getting about 15.5 your saving 1.68gallons of gas. At lets say 3.90/gallon you save $6.55/tank. I would have to fill up 175 times to get the 1MPG increase to offset the cost of those two mods. I fill up every other weeks so it would take me 6.7years to offset that. I guess its an excuse to get some nice mods.

Plus I realized that I am more grumpy driving conservatively than I am paying for gas. The Ram is my daily driver.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Like they have stated the best mod for mileage is a light right foot. Hard to do though considering the power you have in these vehicles.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
On a long trip up here in northern ontario I get roughly 12.2L per 100km (19.27mpg) and thats ranging from 90km/hr to 110km/hr, also stop and go for construction, and on a trip to the city double lane the whole way I averaged 11L per 100km (21.38mpg). Thats a 6 hour trip also.

I have a CAI, maggy catback, and hard tonneau cover now. I have noticed the difference and the sound of the exhaust as it continues to break in.

Definitely cant complain with the milage for a full sized truck!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Any mods you do no matter how many will take several years to re-coop the cost. I save gas by driving my Hyundai Elantra that gets 30mpg. Only use the truck for hauling the camper and boat. Lucky to get over 10mpg.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I get around 14.6 to 15.7 city and 19.3 to 21.2 hgw, not too bad for a full size truck. In the past I spent a ton of money in my last F150 for little of improvement on MPG. I am very happy with my RAM the best truck I have own.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I honestly don't know what I get in the Ram....but we did buy a 2010 Charger SXT back in Jan, great mpgs.....although this week we traded it in on a 2007 SRT8 SuperBee #579/1000....guess the wife isn't worried about mpgs anymore lol

1 - 20 of 20 Posts